WISGUY

Wood Jerkbaits

I think you can cut you wood into smaller pieces and dry it yourself fairly quickly in a microwave or toaster oven. I'm not exactly sure how you can tell when the piece is dry, perhaps someone else has tried this and can offer some insight. Or, just experiment on your own and see.

This is as much a question of time as it is a question of money, if not more. If you're going to spend about 3 to 5 hours working on something, you probably want it to succeed. Thus, the risk of having a lure split or check, or fail to hold primer and paint because of its moisture content it generally too high, especially when the relative (cheap) price of wood is factored in.

If you have access to a Lowes or Home Depot, you can buy a piece of poplar big enough to make at least a half dozen baits for less than $5.

To me at least, wood is among the last areas in which one should cut corners and try to save a few pennies.

i found a place that makes molding trim and custom furniture and he gives me all the short pieces i want usually they are 2 foot or longer and usually anyhwere from 2 to 3 inches thick i offerred to buy them but he said he was glad to get rid of them check the phone book for custom shops and call them you might be suprised what they will give you i could get just about every wood imagineable good luck ps i keep him in fish durning the summer for a swap off

I have heard of lathe turners soaking their green wood in alcohol for a few days. The alcohol draws out the moister in the wood and then the alcohol air dries from the wood quickly. Now you know all I know on that subject. I have also heard of the microwave trick. With that said, I know of a guy who was doing it and a hidden pitch pocket in the wood "exploded" and ruined his microwave. I have to agree with fatfingers. As small as most baits are, the purchase of a single board could keep you going for a while. Any job you do will only be as good as the materials that you start with. Just my opinion.

mossy maker