rockdog23

Thinning Createx & AutoAir

12 posts in this topic

There are two things I have used and both work equally as well. The first is the newest Auto Air 4011 reducer which has a very small amount of glycerine to help eliminate tip drying.

The other is a home bew which is 75% water, 25% Methyl Hydrate alcohol and about 4-5 drops of glycerine mixed in a large medium bottle. Glycerine can be purchased in any pharmacy.

How much reducer to use depends on the application and the amount of air pressure being used. Too much reduction is bad and too little won't help as much.

What I do is to reduce my paints right in the airbrush cup (gravity feed) until I have the consistancy I need.

The new transparent paints from Auto Air spray fine without reducer but the semi opaques need about a 20% reduction.

Reducer because water breaks down the adhesive properties of acrylic paint.

+1 :yay:

...although having gone from a siphon feed to a gravity-feed brush has almost eliminated my need for thinning at all.

Dean

Is auto air higher quality than Createx?

It's a different type of paint, not necessarily a higher quality. Each has it's place. I use Createx on fabrics and when doing my artwork and the Auto Air for lures and helmets etc.

My understanding (although I'm probably wrong) is that both paints are made by the same company. Both paints are water based. Createx is better for fabric and wood. Auto Air is better for metal and plastic? What about it guys?