jig n hawgs

Lure Making 101

Ok, I really need some info on how to paint my own baits. Thing is, that I went from fishing everyday to sitting here reading anything and everything on the pc. I think I have read everything twice and need something to pass my time until the weather warms and fishing resumes.

I planned on buying some of the lure bodies from this site, but need advise to what kind of primer, paints, and clear coat to use? What is a good airbrush system for the money? I'm sure that I will be no good at this, but might keep me busy till Late Feb. when I start the trail again.

Thanks

Joe

Guest Anonymous

:D If you just want to dabble your toes in lure making for a bit, you can brush paint or buy an inexpensive air brush.

I recommend createx paints (from craft stores)... You can brush them or spray them. They are water based, so if you mess up... you can wash the color off. Always put a base coat of white on first.

Badger sells a $20 air brush... good to beginner airbrush. You can use a propell can with it. I would hate to see you buy an expensive brush and end up stickin it in the closet.

As for hand brushing....Is a good method to. Kind of a folk art look. Check out legendary lures for examples. They are nice lures!

I top coat with 30 minute devcon "CLEAR" That seals everything nice and watertight.

Good Luck

Chip

I suggest you stay with solid colors for your first lures.Solid colors will tend to catch more fish according to the pro makers.Actually non colors win such as BLACK or WHITE. As for air brushes> you need to really read up on them.Many of us including myself lack in this field .I think of it like anything else that has a range of models vs. $$. Buying low end model as I did will make you wish diffrent later. Nice air brush will cost you.I use a low end bager and its not a fine detailjet.Its wide and wastefull onless your going multi lures at a time. I also use a 5 gallon air tank that last long enough for my days of painting but its not constant and needs refilled at the service station.I don't suggest the c.o. cans becuse you don't know how long they will last and what the pressure is.I use no less than 15lbs of psi but I like it at 90psi.Its a future investment someday for a elect.air generator.

boatnik13,

I got my Paasche VL from Harbor Freight. It is a real good gun. The kit has absolutely everything that you need to paint baits. I have been using mine for 3 years now with no problems. It comes with 3 different sizes of needles and tips which will allow you to paint as fine or as wide as you will ever need to. For the money as well as the quality, I highly recommed it. Harbor Freight is great to do business with.

Skeeter

Yes, you can trust them.

This is a 15-16 piece set. It comes with three needles

and tips. A #1 for really fine detail.

A #3 which you will probably use most.

And a #5 for really large work.

It has several bottles, a wrench and the hose.

Good Instructions.

I recommend this brush. You won't find a better price.

Coley

boatnik13, i totally agree with you on the "get a better deal" idea. as for dixieart versus in2art, i think they both have good pricing and a good selection. dixieart has a wider selection of airbrushes and paints as opposed to in2art which has a few. I guess it just a matter of personal preference and pricing of course.