philB

Colouring propionate sealer

Phil- If you look through those addresses I P.M you a few months ago on propionate there is one on recycled plastic - yogurt cups. This works, not quite as hard as genuine prop but it's white, sands easily and takes paint -just make sure they are the right 'recycle' code. pete

Huls 844 colorant. It is a solvent based pure pigment.

I found a local industrial paint store (not automotive and not house paints) that has a colorant dispenser on a carousel.

A lot of places you call will say that everyone is using urethane and you won't be able to find what you are looking for but if you check around it is available. Ask for pigments that are compatible with acetone. Pints or quarts will cost $30-$50 each depending on the color. If they have it on a carousel they might give you an ounce or two free. I carried a few small HDPE leak proof bottles with me and they gave me about 2 oz. of each color. An ounce will make a quart or more primer/paint. The amounts vary with each color.

I have made paints with these pigments and propionate and can shoot it with my airbrush and it will clean up very easy with acetone.

If you make this into a dipable white primer you will need to stir it in a way that will not incorporate air bubbles into the solution. Do not shake or you will end up with little bubbles on the surface of the lure when you dip it. Try to get something that you can mix it from the bottom. Another member also recommended that if it drips back into the same jar it will get bubbles on the surface of the solution and that will in-turn get onto the next bait when it is pulled from the jar.

with a few phone calls you might be able to find what you need for free.

There is a couple of other colorants that will work as well.

Another thing that works with propionate/acetone is the automotive pearl powder pigments PPG, HOK and other brands all work fine if you want to airbrush with them.

I would assume because he would like to skip the priming step by having his propionate coat white.

Spot on Smokey :)

Huls 844 colorant. It is a solvent based pure pigment.

I found a local industrial paint store (not automotive and not house paints) that has a colorant dispenser on a carousel.

A lot of places you call will say that everyone is using urethane and you won't be able to find what you are looking for but if you check around it is available. Ask for pigments that are compatible with acetone. Pints or quarts will cost $30-$50 each depending on the color. If they have it on a carousel they might give you an ounce or two free. I carried a few small HDPE leak proof bottles with me and they gave me about 2 oz. of each color. An ounce will make a quart or more primer/paint. The amounts vary with each color.

I have made paints with these pigments and propionate and can shoot it with my airbrush and it will clean up very easy with acetone.

If you make this into a dipable white primer you will need to stir it in a way that will not incorporate air bubbles into the solution. Do not shake or you will end up with little bubbles on the surface of the lure when you dip it. Try to get something that you can mix it from the bottom. Another member also recommended that if it drips back into the same jar it will get bubbles on the surface of the solution and that will in-turn get onto the next bait when it is pulled from the jar.

with a few phone calls you might be able to find what you need for free.

There is a couple of other colorants that will work as well.

Another thing that works with propionate/acetone is the automotive pearl powder pigments PPG, HOK and other brands all work fine if you want to airbrush with them.

Thanks for the pigments solution. I have never heard of these here in the UK. Sounds an excellent idea.

Phil- If you look through those addresses I P.M you a few months ago on propionate there is one on recycled plastic - yogurt cups. This works, not quite as hard as genuine prop but it's white, sands easily and takes paint -just make sure they are the right 'recycle' code. pete

Hi Pete

I have tried the yogurt pots but could not get them to dissolve properly. I still have a half gallon of the stuff. What happens with them is after a couple of hours, after they have dissolved, you get the plastic laid in the bottom of the dipping jar and the liquid on top of it, pretty messy, is this what you mean by 'recycle coding' ?. Also I'm looking for a solid colour, the pot/cups are more opaque if thats the right description.

philB

philB.

With about 50 days until the "British Invasion", do you think it would make a good "souvenir" of your trip to the states or would it be a problem getting through customs? Just an alternative solution.

Customs "Erhmmm excuse me sir is this white powder for personal use" :)

philB "I mix it with propionate plastics"

Customs "Is it highly inflamable"

philB "Only if you smoke during application"

Customs "follow me sir"

philB ":eek:"

You can use titaniumoxide& zinkoxide to tint propionate but when you do you also change the plastic compositition same if you use any paint additives
If you use paint additives you must use an additive with same solvant as you used to dilute the pellets

Not really looking to 'tint' but wish a solid colour (white).

I have some Cellulose automotive paint which you cannot get in the UK anymore, if the prop is dissolved in cellulose thinners that may be an option.

I have your email I believe Roger in my inbox from way back when. I will hang back for a suprise.

philB