Spike-A-Pike

Uncle Spike wants you...

Hey guys,

I need some one to assist me in recreating a Plastic Dip for Sealing Wood Baits tutorial. Tally, the member who created the original, is no longer using this method of construction. So, if you're interested in helping to put this together, take a few minutes to read the existing tutorial, and, if you still aren't scared off, please shoot me a PM.

Once someone volunteers to work this project, I'll post back on this thread to everyone know that we have a brave member selected.

Thanks in advance...

Just to this straight in my mind, Propionate Wood Penetrating Sealer and Base Coat and Plastic Dip for Sealing Wood Baits are two separate methods to finishing hard baits, correct?

Terry.

Did you get my PM? Would this be something you'd like to work on? The original would serve as a starting point.

Pete.

If your interested let me know...

If you both want to give it a go, we'll figure something out then. I'm getting a bad headache... anyone seen my flask, er, my medication?

Bruce - You know how to 'lube' someone- I am assuming you are talking about the "plastic drink cups technique". As I said Phil and I do, BUT we are having problems finding the right plastic for him, other than the drink cups (which are not in wide use here). There were heaps of posts on this,(drink cups). I am just thinking, what I have used (various yogurt containers) and what is available there, may be entirely different, i.e, U.S recycle codes, standards for food containers etc (do you eat yogurt in U.S?), this is why I have never posted anything on it - but if everything lines up, no problem. pete

I would like to thank Palmetto Balsa for stepping up with his submitting Propionate Wood Penetrating Sealer and Base Coat

Does anyone still use Plastic Dip for Sealing Wood Baits???

Hi Spike,

I always have used the dipping process, but I do it with a product made by Blue Water Marine Paint Company. It's a super tough high gloss or satin mostly used for the wood decks on boats or ships. It's called Mega Gloss Polyurethane Topside Enamel (White Primer). This stuff seals your wood baits permanently, dries in 4 hrs @ 75 f. Dries great on a drying wheel.

-Muskyman

Got your PM and sent you the links to the tutorials. :)

I use the plastic cups to seal my baits. One container has lasted me a few years so far.

I cannot think of a less expensive method to seal the wood, puts a smooth rock hard shell around the wood and ready to paint.

I found the longer you let it set, the harder it gets, even hard to put a thumb nail into the balsa wood beneith...but then again, I "really" coat them. :)

Terry,

Got your PM and had a fun afternoon playing in MS Word, Adobe, posting... Thanks for a great time.

Any way I can con, I mean, talk you into assisting me in recreating the Plastic Dip for Sealing Wood Baits tutorial that Tally originally made. I need someone to step up and act as a Subject Matter Expert and take the pictures to fit the existing text.

I'm thinking it was "Virgin Lacquer Thinner"??? I'd know the container if I saw it again to get the correct name of it.

I remember buying it at Auto Zone and i also saw it at Wallmart, but the name escapes me at the moment. :(

It would be hard to make an accurate tutorial without actually making a batch. But I'd be glad to explain how to make it, photo's of the finished product and then what a wood bait looks like after w few dips.

I,ve been using lacquer thinner to melt plastic for 4 or 5 years now it works much better [ quicker] than acetone.The plastic cups work well but have used different items as well such as seed starting trays the really flimsy ones that have maybe two dozen pots all attached .The best thing to do is put a small piece in a oz of lacquer if it hasn,t broke down in a few minutes look for something else to use. Don,t but to much plastic in all at once or you,ll be stirring till the cows come home. Try to put plastic that,s the same size thickness in if you put different sizes in the same batch they dissolve at different rates and just add to the agony of stirring and stirring and stirring. Don,t know about the virgin thinner never seen it here. Hope this helps