hazmail

Thinning Water Based Acrylics

Thanks guys, sorry if I rambled on a bit (just re-read it), but I'm a typical Aussie skeptic. I can't stand these people who put some perfume and vinegar in a fancy bottle, call it 'shower cleaner', and add 1000% to the price. pete

Hi Pete

I have tried adding some methylated spirits to my Createx paints which are supposedly a water based acrylic paint. The effect was quite dramatic with the paint 'curdling'. It broke down into tiny solid bits and definately would not mix with the meths any ideas ?? I also tried isopropyl alcohol and that had exactly the same effect.

I have just ordered some matte medium as well.

philB

Phil - what have I done??? released a monster!!!!

Mix 'Windex', or detergent/water with acrylics.

Use Methylated Spirit to dilute Tamiya, as I think I said, methylated spirits is a good stripper/cleaner for acrylics, not a thinner.

I hope you did not ruin anything other than the paint. I had better read that post again and sort it. pete

Hi Pete

You did say that, yes you did, meths with tamiya acrylics, I just got totaly confused:whistle:.

To every cloud there is a silver lining, at least now I know you cant mix pure meths or alcohol with createx :lol::lol:. However you can add some to water 1:10 and then mix with the paint without too much trouble. I dont really understand 'Acrylics' at all, they seem a very complex paint. If you look at Tamiya acrylics and createx acrylics they are miles apart in look, smell and composition also Tamiya have a 'thinner' which looks and smells just like turpentine and costs more than Moet champagne.

I'm beggining to think acrylics are really weird.

philB

I'm still back in the stone ages using Apple Barrle craft acrylics. I thin them with windsheild wiper fluid (.99 cent per gallon). They are not the best performing paints on the market, but the allure of the 40 cent pricetag (2 ounces) is more than I can stand.

I just painted a new lure today using some Createx paints and I thinned them with an off-brand Windex. It worked amazingly well! The color was much finer and easier to spray with the spihon brush. I was worried about the blue tint messing with the colors but it didn't seem to effect it much. Just make sure you don't add too much! Thanks again Pete!

Kevin70- the windsheild wiper fluid would have some detergent in it and some spirit to stop it freezing, this is why it works. Imagine if someone asked you to pay $3 for something called "One pint of water and 3 drops of detergent", you would tell them where to stick it. pete

Hi Pete

You did say that, yes you did, meths with tamiya acrylics, I just got totaly confused:whistle:.

To every cloud there is a silver lining, at least now I know you cant mix pure meths or alcohol with createx :lol::lol:. However you can add some to water 1:10 and then mix with the paint without too much trouble. I dont really understand 'Acrylics' at all, they seem a very complex paint. If you look at Tamiya acrylics and createx acrylics they are miles apart in look, smell and composition also Tamiya have a 'thinner' which looks and smells just like turpentine and costs more than Moet champagne.

I'm beggining to think acrylics are really weird.

philB

That's okay, I just found out I should read the entire thread instead just scanning down the page looking for booze references... I just mixed pure meths and alcohol with createx and drank it with a beer chaser; my eyes are still crossed.:sauced:

Spike, you ain't right. :) But you sure make people smile.

Pete, great post on thinning acrylics and how it works. Even though I have read several different post about using windex, I've been using pure water and sometimes I have not been happy with the results. Thanks, I am going to start experimenting with the Windex.

By the way, I copied your post to a folder on my computer so I won't have to look for it when I want to refresh my failing memory.

John

Kevin70- the windsheild wiper fluid would have some detergent in it and some spirit to stop it freezing, this is why it works. Imagine if someone asked you to pay $3 for something called "One pint of water and 3 drops of detergent", you would tell them where to stick it. pete

There's no detergent in winshield wiper fluid. Having made 10's of 1000's of gallons of different brands, I can tell you that it is about 93% water, 7% alcohol(usually methanol), and a fraction of a percent of surfactant to make it wet out the glass, and another fraction of blue dye to keep you from drinking it. Windex is pretty much the same, but with a different alcohol than methanol, because it is poisonous.

Watch what you thin acrylics with. Being that there's probaly 1000+ different types, and not all thin the same. They may spray and look nice, but they film will have no integrity and be like a chalk coating and lead to premature paint failure. Many are Ph dependent and that's one reason why you see them curdle and get chalky. The PROPER universal thinner for acrylics is 80% water: 20% glycol ether, sometimes butyl alcohol also. Windex will work for some paints, but don't expect it to work for all. It's a "ghetto" thinner. LOL :)

Nothing personal to anyone, but I find it funny how people will spend all that time carving a bait, getting all detailed, charging someone $30-70 for the lure, but skimp on the $0.01-0.03/lure it takes to follow the paint manufacturers directions and use the proper materials. LOL

Edited by Downriver Tackle

Funny you should say curdling. I use Auto Aire Aluminum paint, and Auto Aire "thinner", which they say to use, and I still get curdling on the first thin coat. It disappears after a few coats, but the first time I did it I freaked. And it doesn't seem to affect the finished product.

That's probably something different. More than likely flakes that aren't orienting correctly. Most of the time if it curdles(kicked out in paint terms), you can't even get it to shoot through a gun.

Hi guys,

A word of caution when making your home brewed reducers. Some of the stuff you are using can damage the airbrush itself. Avoid anything with ammonia as it will corrode the coating on your airbrush.

Mark Poulson, you mentioned getting a curdling when you first apply your Auto Air aluminum. All Auto Air Colors require a very light tack coat and full coverage should only occur by the 3rd light coat. If you are getting full coverage in less than 3 coats you are spraying it on too heavy. I'm not a rep for Auto Air officially but I am one of the lucky few who tests their new products and provide useful feedback.

If you haven't yet tried their new line of waterborne (not water based) "Wicked Colors" paints I highly recommend them. Excellent sprayability and adhesion.