ChampionBoatGuy

Signatures

Sharpies are OK with unthinned Devcon. Clearcoat that contains solvent (Etex, polyurethane, etc) will cause Sharpie to run. I use a fine point caligraphy pen (it's just the nib from a fountain pen mounted in a plastic stick) and black Createx acrylic airbrush paint. It makes a line finer than an ultrafine Sharpie.

I have very little experience..!! Thus the name THE ROOKIE!!! However.. Sharpie is not it!!! Hire a very tiny person!! Little people if you you want to be politically correct.. I got a guy named little JOEMOMMY!! that paints my signatures on for me... only cost me 10 bucks per lure... Sometimes you have to PAY FOR QUALITY!! and Midget JOEMOMMY..opps I mean Little Joe!! can paint!!!

MICRON!!! .005 tip!!! TRY THAT!!! if you can't afford a Little JOEMOMMY Like me!!!! I would use that pen but I cant write worth a flip!!!

The ROOKIE

There is information on this topic.

Here are a few post.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9494&highlight=decal

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10570&highlight=decal

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8366&highlight=decal

I didn't reread any of these that I have linked to, but I am sure there is one or two good ways to do what you are looking for.

BoBp, I'm guessing you fill the caligraphy pen with the Createx and just sign away? Do you have to thin it at all? I've never really messed around with that...

PBalsa, thanks for the links. I think I need to work on my searching :-) I've used the water slide decals for a while on my model airplanes. I'm thinking a genuine signature is the route I want to go. I'll look into this some more. Thanks!

I use an Extrafine Sharpie. This differs from the Ultrafine. I always shoot either a little clear over the signature, or transparent color. No matter which clearcoat you use, shooting it with your paint-type clear or transparent color will make your signature really pop when you apply your urethane or epoxy topcoat. There are other good suggestions here too...I know The_Rookie's signatures always look top-notch...probably the Sharpie is too big for his tiny assistant's hands, but whatever the case, they turn out nice.

Dean

It's like using a quill pen :) It has no reservoir so just dip the tip into a few drops of unthinned Createx black. That's enough for about one signature. Hobby acrylics don't work well because they're too thick and have larger pigment grains. I usually shoot black details like a kill spot last thing, so there's a few drops of black in the airbrush cup waiting to be used for the signature.

Speedball pen. You can get various tips for them from very fine to the caligraphy style. Use paint instead of ink. Whatever paint you used on the plug, use in the pen. No compatability issues. Sign right on the painted plug, then clear the whole thing.

Andrew