Florida Don

Bogg's, Hagen's - or other

Hope you guy's can give me some advice.

I am looking into wire forming. I definitely want to get some equipment but not sure which to get.

If I go with the Bogg's, I will have to buy add-on's for larger diameter wire. It seems that the Hagen's although more expensive to start has more "built in" options and would be slightly less money if I got the Boggs with all the options.

There are also other Hagen tools like the coil maker that I would also have to buy. Can you do coils with the Boggs?

The more I look at the various sites, the more confused I get.

Then again, I am pretty confused when I wake up in the morning!:lol:

Once again, your help is greatly appreciated.

Hey Don,

I have both Hagen's and Boggs. They are great tools. Hagen's sells muskie kit which allows you to work with heavier wires (up to 0.51). Bogg's offers 2 models as well with 4 different head sizes. I use Hagen's for heavy stuff from 0.41 to 0.51. Bogg's for lighter wires (B head option).

Hope it helps.

Regards, PSV

Don,

I was in your shoes about 7 or 8 years ago and now I have the Boggs TackleMaker in .032"-.040" and .041"-.051" sizes, about a $71.00 investment. These kits have taken care of my spinner making need and once you get some time the TackleMaker it gets pretty easy to just about anything you'd want. You can adapt the TackleMaker to accept .062 wire with a file to widen the slot on the Head crank.

The Hagen's accepts wire from .018" to .045", and if you go with the .051" conversion kit, you have an investment of about $171.00.

I wish I knew someone who had used both to get a comparison, but haven't yet. Good luck.

I only see one model of the Bogg's with the 4 different attachment sizes.

All this is new to me, so pardon the questions. But, can I do coils with the Boggs like with the Coil Maker from Hagen's? I know the Hagen Coil Maker is extra $$$.

I don't mind spending the money, but I only want to do it once.

Thanks,

Stamina has the best price I've seen to date. I think they under price the competition on the TackleMaker so you'll place the rest of your starter order with them too. All the brass beads, glass beads, lure bodies, clevises, hooks, split rings, split ring pliers, round nose pliers, cable cutters, diagonal cutters, bucktails, head cement, blades, swivels, etc., And that may be more than you start with or less, depends on you.

If your just getting into making spinners, there is a tutorial in the Member Submitted Tutorials using a Boggs TackleMaker and the Boggs web site has a few "how-to" video clips you might be interested in. http://www.tacklemaker.com

I have the Hagen's unit and have used it to a limited degree. My only complaint so far is if you are switching back and forth from heavier wire to lighter wire the converting can be time consuming, if not a royal pain in the arse.:wink: If you are only working with one type of wire for a long amount of time this wouldn't be a big deal. I also had to modify my heavy wire head to bend .051 wire with a file. For $30 for the heavy wire kit it should work out of the box. Overall though I like the unit. It is built solid and performs the way it should.