Barbee

Please HELP!!!

I use my Kids paint by numbers paint.. it usually comes with a coloring book! you have to use alot!! and I MEAN ALOT OF WATER to get it thinned out!!... Sometimes when Im feeling down.. and I want to turn my frown all the way around!! I paint a sunshine and rainbow scene with a blue sky!!! always makes me feel better!!! Hope this helps!

The Rookie

Ok Ok sorry Mark!!!! I was high on paint last night... Im back to normal.. well if you can call me normal..

I have used:

Createx

Createx auto Air

Folk Art

Apple something.. cheap paint in Hobby Lobby

KRYLON

Actuallly I did use some paint from my kids book!! no lie on that one..

Sharpie

Testor

Paint pens

Easter Egg Tablets!! working on that right now...

Food Coloring.

What have I left out..... hmmm

Clear coats

Devcon

Etex

Dick boogie nites!!!

Automotive clear.. DUPOUNT PPG..etc..

Automotive clear in a spary can.. doesnt work that great last a good day or 2...

NO CLEAR AT ALL!!! paint will last a good 2 hours and after a day on the lake you can come home and try a different pattern!! But if your using wood lures you better clear them!!

Barbee, here's a list of the coatings that are probably most popular (and simple!). There are plenty of options but these work well:

Waterproofing: Devcon Two Ton epoxy, thin it 50/50 with acetone after mixing. It works fine on anything except oily cedar, which can migrate oil stain through epoxy.

Color undercoat: White acrylic paint (Createx)

Colors: Createx is widely available, other companies offer varieties of acrylic airbrush paint tailored for animal painting (find them on taxidermy sites).

Clearcoat: Again, Devcon Two Ton epoxy but this time unthinned or thinned with a few drops of acetone or denatured alcohol.

If your airbrush has a fine tip (anything under .5 mm) stick with airbrush paint. The pigment is more finely ground and it contains flow enhancers. Fewer clogs = happier painter. Devcon Two Ton is sold at most Walmarts in a double syringe for about $2. Mix it thoroughly, brush it on, rotate 30 mins. Sitting right beside it on the shelf, you'll probably see Devcon 5 Minute. It's good for installing hardware but never use it for a coating - it cures too fast and will not level out.

Barbee, here's a list of the coatings that are probably most popular (and simple!). There are plenty of options but these work well:

Waterproofing: Devcon Two Ton epoxy, thin it 50/50 with acetone after mixing. It works fine on anything except oily cedar, which can migrate oil stain through epoxy.

Color undercoat: White acrylic paint (Createx)

Colors: Createx is widely available, other companies offer varieties of acrylic airbrush paint tailored for animal painting (find them on taxidermy sites).

Clearcoat: Again, Devcon Two Ton epoxy but this time unthinned or thinned with a few drops of acetone or denatured alcohol.

If your airbrush has a fine tip (anything under .5 mm) stick with airbrush paint. The pigment is more finely ground and it contains flow enhancers. Fewer clogs = happier painter. Devcon Two Ton is sold at most Walmarts in a double syringe for about $2. Mix it thoroughly, brush it on, rotate 30 mins. Sitting right beside it on the shelf, you'll probably see Devcon 5 Minute. It's good for installing hardware but never use it for a coating - it cures too fast and will not level out.

DITTO, but would add Dick Nites clear coat to list. It does take several coats to achieve best look, but when hardened it is more durable than D2T.

David

David, I agree Dick Nite is great stuff. I use it on a majority of the baits I make nowadays. Not least because I prefer to dip rather than brush epoxy! But I was going for a simple and cheap (but good) coating regimen. Since you can use Devcon for both waterproofing and clearcoating.... Also, storage and application of Dick Nite requires more care and better timing than epoxy, and the consequences of screwing any of that up are worse.