oscarsteel

First custom paint job

I just wanted to show my first batch of painted cranks. I didn't make the bodies. I bought them from jann's. I have been reading every post on this site for the last three months trying to learn everything I can about lurecrafting. You guys in hardbaits are amazing. I kept looking in the gallery at the paint jobs and I had to try it. I read a post awhile by the Rookie the said buy an airbrush and just start painting. Thats what I did. Let me know how I'm doing. :)

THANKS to all of you for sharing your knowledge the way you do. I hope I can return the favor.

first batch2.jpg

first batch2.jpg

first batch2.jpg

first batch2.jpg

first batch2.jpg

first batch2.jpg

first batch2.jpg

first batch2.jpg

2779_thumb.attach

HEY OSCAR!!! NICE JOB!!! way to go man!! SUPER DEE DUPER!!!as Barney would say!!! keep the IMAGINATION going!!! SING IT BARNEY!!

" I LOVE YOU!!! YOU LOVE ME!!! WERE A Tackle Makin FAMILY with a great big huge and a KISS FROM DEAN TO YOU!! wont you say you love blackjack too!!!"

Sorry Im high no paint at the moment... IM CRACKING MYSELF UP!! So if the rest of you dipsticks dont thinks this is funny...BITE ME!! its my post!!

Those are excellent jobs, oscar, and they look like they'll get eaten by something big.

A word of advice though...The Rookie is that guy our parents warned us about. He's a bad man. He keeps Mikie as a slave in his paint shop. (He does an impression of a Pulp Fiction character and tells Mikie, "Where's the gimp? Go get the gimp.")

He paints with almost anything BUT an airbrush...cat fur balls, old socks, pieces of leftover lasagna, stuff like that. Oh, his baits are beautiful, but his processes are a bit more dicey than a episode of Three's Company, let me tell ya.

Oh, and if you hang out with him long enough, he'll send you a monkey. Now that sounds benign, I know...till you see what he trained that thing to do.

Oscar those look great. Can you tell me if you practiced on how to use the airbrush and if so what was it? My husband and I have been researching all this and I have found a place where it gives some info on practicing with the airbrush on paper first. If you have any pointers or suggestions please let me know. THANKS!

Oscar those look great. Can you tell me if you practiced on how to use the airbrush and if so what was it? My husband and I have been researching all this and I have found a place where it gives some info on practicing with the airbrush on paper first. If you have any pointers or suggestions please let me know. THANKS!

I didn't practice on any thing ohter than the lures. I had to wash the paint off of the first one about nine times before I got the look I was after. It takes a lot of trail and error for me. I have done about fifty now for friends and myself. Now I only have to start over about five times. The only suggestions I can make are get a airbrush and start painting. You WILL make mistakes but it washes off easily until its dry. Have fun I warn you its very addictive. I thought when I started doing this it would be a cheap way to build my tackle box, Boy was I wrong. Its still alot of fun.:)

Those are excellent jobs, oscar, and they look like they'll get eaten by something big.

A word of advice though...The Rookie is that guy our parents warned us about. He's a bad man. He keeps Mikie as a slave in his paint shop. (He does an impression of a Pulp Fiction character and tells Mikie, "Where's the gimp? Go get the gimp.")

He paints with almost anything BUT an airbrush...cat fur balls, old socks, pieces of leftover lasagna, stuff like that. Oh, his baits are beautiful, but his processes are a bit more dicey than a episode of Three's Company, let me tell ya.

Oh, and if you hang out with him long enough, he'll send you a monkey. Now that sounds benign, I know...till you see what he trained that thing to do.[/quote

Thanks for the warning about the Rookie. I sure don't need a monkey running around house, unless he trained it to paint cause his and your work is awesome. I may have to try using leftover lasagna. :teef:

What the HECK is a squirrel roaster:huh:

If you have to ask, you don't want to know!! Super job on those baits. Keep up the great work.

Barbee, you can buy a pad of newsprint at Office Depot to practice on or do what most of us have done (and still do) and practice on a cardboard box. I have painted up a lot of boxes.

BTW, I don't think Rookie is high on paint, I suspect its crack. Not sure which kind of crack, but....... Hey Rook, let Mikey out for a little fresh air.

David