Jerry Borst

Heavy Duty Lure Retriever

I've been building these out of my garage for a some time now and thought I would share it.

With its 2+lbs of weight it really gets to a hung bait with authority, quite often dislodging the bait upon impact. It's small enough where you won't trip over it all season long and reaches depths to 40'. Powder coated for a smooth finish, all welded machine twist chains and #5 salt water hook. Low tangle rope on a floating marker buoy for easy storage.

Lure Retriever 42507 017a.jpg

2781_thumb.attach

I have also been using a 5 oz. Pyramid Weight with a snap on the ring for jigs, shakes, and drop shot rigs that get snagged in brush. Simply attach the snap around your line and let the weight slide down to your lure. If you have moved to the far side of where you got hung and are almost on top of the snag, it should pop right out. If it does not, jiggle up and down with your rod. The 5 oz. weight will dislodge your lure. Works really well!

MM26 is exactly right, snap it on the line and lower it down, (stay as vertical as pos.) If Mr. MM26 gets excited about how good 5oz of weight works (been there) just imagine how well 32oz can get em in a southern reservoir filled with trees.. (That's why I built it) I'll admit with the price of lead today it's not cheap to put together but it's been worth it.

The only difference in the 5oz. approach and a 32 oz. plug knocker is the 5 oz. pyramid weight is dropped, like on a zip line. When rides down your line it will most often pop loose that 3/16 shakey head that is hung in brush. There is no lowering line attached to it. I also have a 2 pound plug knocker at my feet for cranks and deep jerk baits though. It does have a lowering line attached. Both retrievers are valuble tools in ones boat.

• Like 1

I also had a Cabelas retriever, I had the ring type and that one worked pretty good but again lacking in the weight department, so I doubled them up for a while.

The cost of lead today vs 2 years ago has more than doubled but it's not necessarily the cost of a individual retriever but if I order $1000 of marker buoys or I'm looking into labels for the boxes and they want a min. of a couple hundred ect it all adds up quickly.

If you were to build one for yourself:

Marker buoys at Bass Pro are min $3ea, powder coating is another $3ea, I usually run through min. 25 at a time, then you have the pipe, the wire, the chains, splitring, the hook, the rope, and boxes to ship them well you don't need a box, but I do, also propane, saw blades, drill bits etc. plus your time is worth something, So this is why I get $40 ea.

At this point (10+yrs) every single person who has purchased one says they have been worth it! And I know I shouldn't say it but I have never received a single negative comment from anyone who has one.

thanks again for the interest