stream stalker

Strike King Spence Scouts

Stream stalker, the plastic version of the Spence Scout is not worth the fuel to get them home. The Clark and the early Spence Scouts with metal hardware and lips are one of the best shallow water baits ever made and I buy them whenever I see them at tackle shows or on e-bay. On the old baits you will usually have to replace the skirts since the old rubber skirts get brittle and stiff but don't pass one up. To me it is one of the must have baits.

In addition, to the plastic spence, Cotton Cordell made an all plastic scout. The original Water Scout was made C.A. Clark Bait Co. The spence is the same lure but of lesser quality. You will have to hit the swap meets and ebay to find the old water scouts.

Of course the real way to do it is to make your own!! Make a pattern of a existing body and cut out some wood patterns of the same size and thickness. Then shop around for the metal hardware and presto a unlimited supply!! Probably could sell all you wanted to on the side also.

I think MuskyGary is right. If there was ever a lure that would be easy to duplicate/knock off, that has to be it.

With a good length of dowel, you could turn half a dozen blanks in a row in 30 minutes, and then fine tune one until it's right, and duplicate it on the rest.

If you think hardwood dowels are too heavy, buy some clothes pole, or rip some pine to the overall dimension you want, plus a little for centering, and turn it round. then shape it.

Could be a gold mine for you, based on what I've read from everyone here on how the original fishes.

Here are a couple pictures of a SK Scout and if you have a 2008 Barlow's catalog there is a Clark Water Scout on page 93.

The problem with duplicating this bait is making the hardware like the original. I have tried it more than a few times and without the original hardware can't get the same action, close but not quite. Then again maybe a good baitmaker could, think I still have some bodies that I turned a few years ago, somewhere, if someone else wants to give it a shot.

baits0580.jpg

baits0582.jpg