muskietom51

Flashabou Skirts

Lol ok guys I found the flashbou at Staminas. I'm totally lost here about making skirts. I'm going to building inline spinners with the double blades. I have the weighted coils to tie too. It looks like I should tie the skirt material in the middle of the strands am i correct? Should I tie with a wrap or the rubber bands? With the strands do I just mix the colors? If I tie them in the middle I guess they will be full when done or in the water.

I tie flashaboo skirts on inline rear trebles and rear trebles on crank baits.

Best thing is get a boppin to hold the thread. Thread I use is either kevlar, size G (Orvis) or flax waxed nylon.

You'll have to always 'comb' the flashaboo to get it to lie straight. First, tie an overhand knot and attach thread to top of hook just under the eye and sinch. Pull a small amount up, thread it throught the eye of the hook, pull tight and start wrapping thread. Trim to taste.

Takes a few until you get it down, but once you do its a POC.

You can tie it on trebles and mix it up with anything or by itself.

I prefer to tie it on because the rubber band will eventually break or dry-rot. Better yet A TOOTH (you hope) will catch it just right.

If you start your thread on coil, then a dab of glue then the flash. It can be a pain to work with, but take your time. It looks great when done.

I always between layers, cover threads with a small coat of fishing glue (brush type). When completely done I use the Sally Hansen hard as nails clear coat (2 coats)

Tried to take a bucktail apart the other day, it was quite the challenge and very impressive. It's definatly not going to come apart.

Spring fever has me very busy.

MuskieTom,

Since your just getting into building some muskie spinners, I thought I would direct you to the Members Submitted Tutorials. There are 2 tutorials on making musky spinners and 1 on twisting wire the easy way.

There are certain thinks common to all musky spinners, yet we all make 'em different. I use a skirt band to hold silicon skirts on, then add a zip tie over the top of band to keep it there until I need to rebuild it again.

Tight Lines

I use a small section of surgical tubing instead of coils. The tubing allows the thread to cinch down securing the flashabou. I use a fly tying bobbin, and I use two one package per skirt. I use a small section of wire with a loop on one end to slide the tube on, then clamp the wire end in the vice. Wind the thread on the tube, grab half the package of flashabou and center on the tube and wind and cinch thread down, turn skirt to bare side up, apply rest of flashabou and repeat. finish with a few half hitches and apply superglue to wraps. Mine last many muskie thrashings with no shirt loss.

Hi Guys. I am also relativly new to TUG. My company has been manufacturing fishing tackle for over 20 yrs and produce over 500,000 lures annually. It just wouldn't be right if I did not plug my company. check out Heads & Tails Lure Company. www.htlureco.com. This is our online web site. You will find all of the flashabou pretied skirts on this site. We do not sell just the flashabou material yet but intend on doing so soon. We also carry alot of the components that it takes to build spinners and spinnerbaits. And I can't forget our line of baits. These are sold in Gander Mountain stores.

OK, so quite the cheesy plug but It could be helpful. LOL

Thanks guys and good luck.

Clint Kellar

Heads & Tails Lure Co.

headstails@stny.rr.com