strictly esox

??? for the musky guys Devcon vs Etex

I have always used Etex to clear coat my Musky baits, I've never tried Devcon 2T but was thinking about it. How does the Devcon hold up to Musky teeth and hook rash compared to Etex?

Is Devcon available in larger sizes, I can only find it in the syringes?

I have no complaints about Etex but it sure would be nice not to have to turn the baits for 18+ hours . Any other pros or cons? I searched this site for hours and learned alot about both products, just wondered what other Musky guys had for an opinion.

Thanks, John:teef:

Hello,

We make lots of Musky baits, and have used Etex and Crytal Sheen and they are both about the same, decent, hard but flexible, clear finishes, but like you said, take forever to set and cure. We switched to Devcon several years ago for that reason and couldn't be happier with the results. Two to three coats on our Musky baits and we're good to go.

You have to get used to the differences as far as pot life, mixing, etc. but in the long run I think it is better for Musky because it dries harder than Etex or Crystal Sheen IMO. It is also not as touchy as far as the 50/50 mix goes compared to Etex. We only have to turn baits for about 30 minutes and then hang them up. They are actually fishable in 24 to 36 hours although the cure goes on a little longer. You can buy Devcon 2ton

in bigger containers than the syringes from several places on the net. Give it a try.

Rod

Someone on this forum (sorry, I can't remember who, or I'd give him credit) recommended "T"ing your trebles to avoid hook rash. Bending the two hooks that rub out to parallel, so they don't rub against the sides of the lure.

The person who recommended it said he did it for trolling lures, to prevent them from getting stuck by their own trebles while being trolled.

I tried it on my swimbaits, and it works.

18hrs!! where you turning them in a fridge?i find 6hrs enough with e-tex to stop it sagging and not in high temperatures i'd say in the region of 18c if i want them done quicker i put a oil filled radiator close by which speed's it up.Here in the uk due to cost e-tex is the only option.i've not tried 2T best part of $10 for the syringes over here but i'd have have thought the longer working time with e-tex would be a bonus with large lures

I have used both the Devcon and ETEX and Crystal Sheen. Crystal Sheen is the best of the three in my opinion.Devcon costs way too much to use in production baits. I still use Devcon to seal up the wire ends in my baits(Smuttly Dog Baits). Another option for finish is EX74 or EX 88. I have used and like both. But the EX74 stinks much less. It is very hard. initial tests are looking very good. I will relay my findings at a later date. mark Smith