JFigliuolo

I'm new, I hate you all

Yeah, what Braveviper said. Welcome to our addiction. Now that the hook has been set, there is no escape for you. Have fun and enjoy the ride.

David

I've been an addict for a while, spinning SW stuff. These swimbaits are the nuts though. I'm sure I pull most of my hair out trying to make one.

Keep it simple. Just remember what Larry Nixon says, "My brain is the size of a pea".

If I can do it, anyone can.

And a friend of mine won a tournament with a 12 1/2lber he caught on an old, faded, beat up, bill-missing 10" swim bait that he threw shallow, and then just twitched, because it didn't swim worth beans.

We sometimes make things harder than they need to be.

Welcome aboard...we hate you too.

Can't we all just get along???? Yeah we all are real close here,like peanutbutter and jelly,like 19 and 20,like Bert and Ernie,like... aah you get the picture.Welcome to the dark side of the lure crafting world.And we all thought crack and meth were bad,couldn't be much worse.When a man can't wait to get to work so he can play with his lures,that's bad.Atleast that's where I do it....Enjoy

Yea as stated b4 we really do hate you too !

Ive been here now for a couple years .. it started as a hobby and to make custom crankbaits as quality baits hit 15 or more each .. I said to my self .. surely I can make the baits I convented but could not force my self to buy.. so I got on the net and did some research ... I figured If I could redo all the wood in my boat and fiberglass from what I found on the net surely someone had info on making your own baits .. and sure enuff .. tackle underground appeared in a search and a lure makin junky was soon born.. especially after winning 2 tournaments back to back, on my own baits .. man then I was really hooked!

From there it escalated .. pretty soon people wanted to buy my lures .. wow !!! Im worthy enuff for people to want my baits enuff to PAY for them ?!>!??!?! wow .. dollar signs flashed in my eyes .. then reality set in .. when I figured out how much time and money would be needed to crank out consist baits to sell .. soon that idea passed and I went back to making them just to fish with and give to friends.. occasionally selling a few if someone really wanted them bad enuff to pay my price .. which is rare lol

Then it went from crankbaits .. to wood swim baits, jigs, and spinner baits, and now even plastics are startin to look good lol .. after you learn to make your own .. its hard to pay for lures !

God help you .. your now going to have to join LMA " lure makes anonymous! " :lol::lol::lol:

David,

Thinking about it is falling off the wagon!

Northrivergeek,

I also just make them for myself and friends. If I sold them, I'd have to service them, and hear all the complaints that fisherman have in abundance.

We all know it's the lure, not the angler. :o)

JF,

My Dad told me, when I first started running construction jobs for him, that I wasn't doing my job until my name was on the outhouse wall.

So I'm used to being "hated".

Welcome aboard.

As if I didn't have enough lure projects going on... Now I have no choice but to try swimbaits... amazing work you folks do.

Another thing you'll really hate is the fact that you can post links here. :)

You'll miss out on all the PM's telling you what has been deleted.

You guys arent kidding.................I discovered this site about a week ago and have not thought about anything else since. Wife is looking lonely (LOL).............I have spent every waking moment thinking about what type and how..........I bought some polymer clay figuring I could make a mold. I also got a leftover scrap of balsa from a school project my daughter did last year. I never carved anything before so I decided to experiment. I didnt do half bad. I have a real sharp knife but it probably isnt the right type. With a little help from a file and some sand paper I was able to round it out nice. With that under my belt I think I am ready to do some carving. I will be going to the craft store today and obtaining some more balsa. Do you guys usually carve or rasp out the shapes? Or both? Is the typical lure made whole and then drilled or is it two sides glued together?

Someone please answer quickly cause I really need to get started today........Im going crazy in my house.....fishing doesnt start up here for at least another month or so.......

You guys arent kidding.................I discovered this site about a week ago and have not thought about anything else since. Wife is looking lonely (LOL).............I have spent every waking moment thinking about what type and how..........I bought some polymer clay figuring I could make a mold. I also got a leftover scrap of balsa from a school project my daughter did last year. I never carved anything before so I decided to experiment. I didnt do half bad. I have a real sharp knife but it probably isnt the right type. With a little help from a file and some sand paper I was able to round it out nice. With that under my belt I think I am ready to do some carving. I will be going to the craft store today and obtaining some more balsa. Do you guys usually carve or rasp out the shapes? Or both? Is the typical lure made whole and then drilled or is it two sides glued together?

Someone please answer quickly cause I really need to get started today........Im going crazy in my house.....fishing doesnt start up here for at least another month or so.......

Do some searching on the site to answer all your questions .. but I cut my bait shapes out on table top band saw, then use dremel with sanding drum to shape the bait, drilling and cutting lip slots b4 start sanding, then after sanded install belly weight and hook hangers with devcon epoxy then seal the bait in sanding sealer a few times drying and lightly sanding between coats .. there ain't no easy answer to your questions but all the details and then some are on here just search the forums .. your first few will prob suck .. mine did lol .. after a dozen or two they will start looking like lures should .. your tub will be full of water and they're will be baits floating in the tub when your wife tries to take a bath :lol:

I haven't posted much but I have been lurking in the background and trying to learn everything I can. These guys will amaze you with their work. I am not much when it comes to whittling, maybe its because I am getting older. Anything you want to know is somewhere in a forum.

I get on here and read until I think I am going crazy. My wife walked in the other day and I was in the middle of the floor , going around in circles like Curly on the Three Stooges. Woob Woob Woob Yuk Yuk Yuk.

There in not a thing wrong with me.:nuhuh:

I'm with Jfig on this one. I signed up a bout 3 weeks ago, and this site is high on my list of ones I constantly check. I hate that first screen with the random pics of baits at the top! Awesome stuff that is! Almost makes me feel bad the winter is almost over. I don't want o use up soft water time making baits when I should be fishin' em'! I'm heading over to someone's house this weekend just to gawk at his operation!!