huck

finished 2 rods this week

Huck.

Those both look great in my book. I noticed the thread looked like it has a top coat (flex coat?) on it, was the rest of the blank unfinished?

I'd like to try rod building, but I always seem to run out of cash before I run out of ideas and time.

Thanks and yes, I snapped those pictures before I put the flex coat on. I ended up putting 3 coats of Threadmaster Lite on it.

I take it the guides are put on, then the Threadmaster or Threadmaster Lite, followed by the Flex Coat. I think I could figure out the thread work okay, getting the finishes smooth would be the detail that might drive me nuts.

Yep, first the guides (after finding the spine on the rod) are taped on, then wrap the thread, then apply the flex coat. Threadmaster lite is a brand of epoxy similar to Flex Coat brand, but thinner. I just got it to try out for the first time.

There are some great tutorials on mudhole with video that you can watch... I learned a lot from these: Rod Building 101

Good luck!

looking good huck

how do you like the threadmaster lite compared to flex-coat or just regular thread master?

this cold weather has been giving me fits on getting decent finish to lay down since its like 60 in my basement all the time.. (a problem you rarely have in Pheonix - i know my parents live in scottsdale :D).

so i'm wondering if several lite coats might turn out better than the high build.. seems like i'm doing at least 2 coats of hi-build on the longer stretches just to get a level finish.

This is the first time I've used the TM Lite, it's really thin compared to the Flex Coat I've used before. I put 3 coats on that swimbait rod, and 2 on the fly. It seems to soak up in the threads pretty well too. I'd heard that the benefit of using it was less bubbles, which may be true due to the thinner viscosity, and also that putting on thin coats helps it level out better.

It's been around 70-ish in my garage while working on these... so the temp is perfect for me right now to build. I remember last summer I couldn't get the flex coat on the wraps quick enough without it starting to get lumpy on the foil.

I'd also heard that you can heat up the high build before mixing it a little in a microwave and that would thin it out a bit, but then your temps are up and it might dry faster too. I think the Lite is going to help me put out better looking rods, but it's also going to take longer with each rod since I'm doing more coats... aka: the right way.

yeah. i have a low-power space heater i usually sit the mixing cup after i get my flex-coat mixed. Once i get it on the rod, it stiffens up pretty quick though... not too much of an issue on the short wraps, a quick flame job and they lay down ok... its the long stretches/wraps where i have a logo or something like that where its really a pain. if i keep my work lamp really close to the rod as it turns it seems like it helps though. I'm gonna get me some lite and give it a go.... i'll have to get another drying motor or 3 so i don't get frustrated waiting for the 3rd or 4th coats to dry on 1 rod:mad:

Looks great Huck, but why's the trout swimming away from the angler?

Just a superstitious thing. I always place the decal swiming toward the angler.

I never would have thought of that, but I'm glad you mentioned it. This is the first time I put a fish decal on a rod... usually I make my own waterslides with a name on them and that's it.