northrivergeek

Anyone ever used OAK wood for cranks ?

I made a OAk crank today at work .. not enuff to do .. found a piece of oak pallet.. and drew out a pattern, and stuck in the band saw .. that looked good .. so I threw it on the belt and disk sander .. pretty quickly had about a 4 Inch long and 1 inch wide oak crankbait lol ... looks great not sure how will react in the water .. hoping it is a slow sinking / rising bait for deeper bass.

cranks0308 013 (Small).jpg

cranks0308 010 (Small).jpg

cranks0308 011 [320x200].jpg

2818_thumb.attach

2819_thumb.attach

2820_thumb.attach

I find oak harder to carve.

Are you sure the pallet was made out of oak?

Most of the pallets I've seen in the last few years are from imported hardwood. That's not to say that it's bad wood for lures, just not oak, at least in the ones I've seen.

There are some Malaysian hardwoods that are imported for decking that are almost like teak. They have a very even grain, are full of oil and are very heavy, so they almost don't float, and are hard to tool.

We have to predrill them in order to screw them in place.

But they wear like iron, and hold up great outdoors. Now that you mention it, they'd probably make great suspending, or slow sink, baits, just by adding hooks and coating them.

I find oak harder to carve.

Are you sure the pallet was made out of oak?

Most of the pallets I've seen in the last few years are from imported hardwood. That's not to say that it's bad wood for lures, just not oak, at least in the ones I've seen.

There are some Malaysian hardwoods that are imported for decking that are almost like teak. They have a very even grain, are full of oil and are very heavy, so they almost don't float, and are hard to tool.

We have to predrill them in order to screw them in place.

But they wear like iron, and hold up great outdoors. Now that you mention it, they'd probably make great suspending, or slow sink, baits, just by adding hooks and coating them.

Yes its red oak, I know my woods, was in antique restoration business for years. Most of the pallets we get are ruff cut pine some are mixture of pine and oak. some of them are just very old pallets. We get very heavy transformers and other heavy copper pieces ( We make resistance welders ) shipped in and out so most wood wont hold up to the weight of this kind of stuff with out being oak..

Im familiar with the stuff your talking about and I wouldn't use that stuff to build a outhouse even ... its terrible junk wood

Put hooks on it and went down to the lake after the Thunderstorms, lightning and hail , we had all day finally at about 4pm the sun started to peek out.

Of course it weighs a ton ( about 2oz ) :lol: casts a mile .. has good action , and it suspends I cast it out from sure in about 12 feet water .. easily dredged the bottom, I'll have to get out in the boat to see what it really will do as far as depth. But for just messing around ended up being a success!:yay: