Jump to content
8 replies to this topic
Posted 04 December 2003 - 11:07 AM
after weeks of carving, sanding, foiling, painting, clearcoating, waiting and finally testing in the water.....my hard work has gone to the dumps. seems that one of the hook points penetrated the clearcoat and now the bait has swelled with the penetrating water.
Posted 04 December 2003 - 11:31 AM
Bummer! I casted one of my favorites right into a tree the first day out. I almost killed myself trying to retrieve it. You can't get to attached to 'em if your going to use them. Take lots of pictures and if you make one you really like, put it in a shadow box and hang it on the wall. And use a ton of epoxy to topcoat them.
Posted 04 December 2003 - 01:31 PM
thanks woodenfeather. hey by the way, i was viewing some of your foiled lure and they're pretty awesome. How did go about putting the small scale texture on the foil?
Posted 04 December 2003 - 02:29 PM
It aint a lure unless you cast it upon the water. If its hangin in a box it's just a pretty little stick. It's a chance we all take
Posted 04 December 2003 - 05:28 PM
Id look into your clearcoating process.
A properly cured epoxy coat should resist hook scratches & abrasion for a good while.
I know cold weather can wreak havoc on us trying to work in a cold workshop.
give us some detials on your clearcoat process, maybe we can figure it out.
Posted 04 December 2003 - 09:47 PM
may i ask what you are using to seal the wood? becuase if a plug is properly sealed,it should be almost impervious to water absorbtion.by sealed i don't mean your clear cloat.i mean are you sealing the bare wood itself? after i have my screw eyes set,and the weights epoxied in place,i then dip the plug in a solution of boiled linseed oil cut with paint thinner in a 60/40 mix.then let the plug hang for at least 24 hours before priming,and painting.i have had plugs chip right down to bare wood because i riffled them off of bridges or rocks,and the plugs have seen many hours of fishing since then,and have not absorbed any water.just a thought.
Posted 05 December 2003 - 09:56 AM
first of all I would like to say thanks for the responses.
after sanding and shaping the lure I use bulleyes 123 to seal the wood. (by the way, i use basswood when carving my lures). after the sealer has dried, i apply the foil and epoxy the lip. spray the lure with createx and when dried I use devcon 2 ton as the clearcoat (i only use one coat). I let that cure for almost a week before I tested it out in the water. when i returned from testing the lure, i discovered at the rear of the lure looked liked something had penetrated the clearcoat, right about where the hooks would come in contact with the lure. I let it be figuring that I could repair the damage with mabye a little epoxy. The next day I took a closer look and discovered that on the opposite side of the lure closer to the head, the foil had seperated (i use four pieces of foil. one piece for every side of the luere) and you could see the white wood sealer. i should mention that at the time i tested the lure it was about 38 degrees outdoors.
Posted 05 December 2003 - 11:28 AM
If I may ask how come you are using 4 pieces of foil???. To me it seems that there are too many seams created by this. I use only 2 pieces one for each side. I use a smaller version of the pattern that i used to cut the bait blank out with to get the foil the same shape as the bait. Additionally I have found that if the foil is placed on a bend in the bait, there is a greater chance that the seam might bust and leak water in I also foil the bait before the sealing of the wood. next time out try foiling first, clearcoat w/ devcon, paint the back and belly and clearcoat w/ devcon again. That would mean that there are 2 coats of Devcon that are protecting your bait
Posted 05 December 2003 - 11:58 AM
very true blackjack. what i was trying to achieve with the four pieces of foil was a seamless look. i would apply a piece of foil to the top and bottom of the lure and then attach the sides. i would then use a pen to hide the seams even further. seemed to work but you're correct, this gives the foil an even greater chance to seperate. i figured the devcon would hold things together. i did another lure the same way but first applied the sides and then the top and botttom. it came out pretty good except you could see the seams and it was a plastic lure.