chartreuse

painters, how is this done? specifically The_Rookie(cuz its his work)

Hi

Having not made the bait it's difficult to tell really, only the maker can give a definative answer there. I will take an informed guess and say it is almost certain to be a freehand airbrushed spot as a stencil leaves a sharp edge, this has not got that. The spot in the picture looks just like spots I have done and they are really difficult to get spot on (excuse the punn :)).

Thats my verdict anyway.

philB

3 guys die and go to heaven... St. Peter asks them why are you guys here.. I dont have you on the list.. how did you die.. First guy says... "well St. Peter it's kinda like this." I was washing window's on the is 14th story Apartment building when my rope broke.. as luck would have it! I saw a open window and held on with all 10 fingers... The some SOB comes over and shuts the window down on my fingers so I let go.. but I got lucky again and fell right on top of a tarp over hangin the 2nd floor... Next thing I know a refridgerator comes flying out of the 14th floor and smashes me to my death!!"

Wow..that's sum story.. St. Peter says.. So he asked the next guy.. How did you die.. "well St. Peter he says its kinda like this.... I was putting the key in my apartment on the 14th floor when I heard someone in the bedroom with my wife.." I was awful mad at the time and I started lookin for this man.. Next thing I know I see 10 fingers holdin on to my apartment window.. So I shut the window on his hands and I thought he was going to fall to his death.. but the sucker got lucky and landed on a tarp at the bottom of the 2nd Floor..

So I grab the fridge and threw it out the window.. my belt got caught on the handle and I fell with the fridge to my death!!"

wow now that some story... Ok Ok St. Peter says..

I know how you 2 died.. as he looks at the last guy.. How did you die (GUY #3) well St. Peter.. it's kinda like this.. I was sitting a refridgerator minding my own business!!!!!!

Sorry I cant answer that question at the moment Im sitting in a refridgerator mindin my own business!!!!

But thanks for admiring my work!!

The Rookie

thanks for divulging the "secret"; i just noticed that there are duplicate shapes on the lure lol. so whats the paperclip for, holding the stencil? may i also ask if it was a rigid cutout or a frisket type material?

i'd truly like to learn stencil techniques better before i screw-up this one of mine. i gotta plan everything out before i speed paint in my 40degree garage (no kidding, its actually 40 or less at the moment :lol:). it'll be be like painting in the refrigerator, so at least i'll have that part of Rookie's method down.:yeah:

basshowpainted.jpg

lureresizedsmall.jpg

basshowpainted.jpg

lureresizedsmall.jpg

basshowpainted.jpg

lureresizedsmall.jpg

basshowpainted.jpg

lureresizedsmall.jpg

basshowpainted.jpg

lureresizedsmall.jpg

basshowpainted.jpg

lureresizedsmall.jpg

basshowpainted.jpg

lureresizedsmall.jpg

basshowpainted.jpg

lureresizedsmall.jpg

2835_thumb.attach

2836_thumb.attach

The Rookie isn't telling you about "the monkey."

(He's got a monkey that does his detail work...he hands the monkey a McDonalds straw and a cup with paint. The monkey snorts the paint through the straw and sneezes at the bait. He gives the monkey a peanut, he gets a nice lookin' bait...everyone wins.)

He was supposed to send me the monkey!!!...but I think he's givin' that monkey something other than peanuts because his work keeps getting better and better. No wonder he won't let go of his monkey. Can you blame him?

thanks for divulging the "secret"; i just noticed that there are duplicate shapes on the lure lol. so whats the paperclip for, holding the stencil? may i also ask if it was a rigid cutout or a frisket type material?

i'd truly like to learn stencil techniques better before i screw-up this one of mine. ...

Consider that the techniques, materials/tools, experience level, and goals that The Rookie uses may not give the best results for you. With that in mind, and even considering the low temperature, there can be no substitute for getting out in your garage and putting in some hours. Master the pattern you want on pieces of scrap wood before you paint your lure.

If you'd truly like to learn the intricacies of of stencilling, you'll have to figure much of it out yourself. This is not meant as criticism at all, it's just the way the art of the luremaker progresses. Sometimes you just have to jump in and get wet, and I suspect that this may be one of those times.

Almost every time I get a question about exactly how I do a specific technique, I'll relate what it took to get my results. Invaraibly, I get this response, "Hey thanks, but I decided to try it a little different......." Almost always, the questioner does it their own way.

The answer is in your hands: "use a stencil". Now it's up to you to do it your own way, and I'm sure we all are anxious to see the results.

Good luck, and good fishing!