eyemafish

Glitters coat

Hello everyone! I am a newbie to the whole custom lure making and have a simple question.

I am trying to coat a crankbait with entirly glitter. My question is what adhesive should I use to stick it to the bait before I clear coat it. I tried using a layer of wet clear coat, covering the lure and then alowing it to dry before applying the final clear coat. The problem is the glitter seemed to bleed out into the first layer of clear coat. Any ideas?

Thanks

By the way this is my new favorite site. The possibilities are endless when it comes to paint jobs and modifications.

Its the glitter.

First thing you need to do is test you glitter with the product you will use it with as an adhesive and then test it with you topcoat to see if they are compatible.

Any glitters that are solvent proof will work. Try the glitters that are used in the soft plastics. If you have a Hobby Lobby in your area you can use Poly-Flake glitter. I know that one is solvent proof. I am sure there are other brands that will work but some of the other members will have to tell you some of them.

Good luck and welcome to TU.

eyewasafish

One more idea. There is a product called Save-A-Puzzle by Roseart. It is non solvent, sets up very tacky, and cures crystal clear. Apply a very thin coat, and you can stick a buick to this stuff. It's not quite hard enough to use as a top coat, but it accepts Devcon very well

Wagglepop - Save-A-Puzzle 4 oz. bottle-RoseArt - Item: 474353 - Ends: Tue Mar 25, 12:13 AM

One that works well for me is the cheap paint-on hobby glitter you get at any hobby shop. It's water based and you paint it on to whatever density you like. To me, the best thing is you can thin it with water and apply it to specific areas of a crankbait, when you want "just a hint" of scale flash on a belly or side. But you can also apply it unthinned in multiple coats if you want all glitter. It comes in a wide variety of flake colors and sizes and is very inexpensive. Regarding Devcon Two Ton epoxy, do a search in this forum and you'll find more info than you need about it!