jcb19983

airbrush

JMHO, gravity feed is better in every application except one - that being if you want to shoot paint from a large paint bottle to cover multiple lures. For crankbaits, the gravity models use less paint and are easier to clean afterwards. For example, I squeeze only 5-6 drops of paint into the cup on my Iwata gravity feed brush to paint details on several baits. You'd flush more unsprayed paint than that out of a syphon feed brush when cleaning it between colors.

which one would you prefer for doing musky baits siphon or gravity feed. Iwata or paaschse?

-I don't see any difference between gravity or siphon feed, it's just a ask about your own choices.

I like siphon feed more and I love my Iwata's.

If I were doing production of big baits, I might use a siphon gun for primer/main color applications, but I would use a gravity with a bigger cup (Iwata C) for all of the detail painting.

I do it all with a gravity gun now, and it works fine, but I only paint one or two big baits at a time. I don't do production, and generally only do two similar baits with the same paint scheme, so I don't need to coat lots of baits with massive amounts of paint.

If I have the time, I prime with Krylon rattle can primer, and let it dry overnight, but, most of the time, I do my painting all in one session, so water based Createx and flip flop paints are what I use.

I find it takes me longer to figure out how I want to make a color scheme than it does to paint it, and the quick color changes and light weight make my choice a gravity gun.

I only own one airbrush, so, rather than having several different colors to spray available, I mix my colors in a plastic mixing cup and spray them premixed, adding shading by how I apply it, or highlighting with different colors next.

Washing out between colors becomes automatic, takes about a minute, and it's on to the next color.

Iwata or Paasche? I have an Iwata HP and a Paasche VL. Either will work. The Iwata is superior quality. Which is better for your application depends on how you work, how many baits you paint, what kind of paint you want to use, and how much you want to spend.

I just had this same question not too long ago...I can't speak about the paasche, but I did go with the gravity feed Iwata (HP-CS) and I love it. I do repeat what someone said earlier about easier clean up and less waste. I keep one little mixing cup and some mixing sticks. However, I started out by borrowing a friend's siphon feed and while it takes a little more time to clean, it's not that big of a deal. Let's face it, we're not racing anyone at the airbrush olympics or anything...it's just a matter of feel and personal preference in my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide!

A clean up tip.

Don't every let cleaning water get into the trigger part of your brush. If there's any paint in it at all, it can make the piston in the trigger valve stick, and that's a pain.

If it does happen, soaking it for a minute in acetone, and then blowing it out will clean it (assuming you have teflon/sovent-rated seals), but it's easier just not to let it happen. The valve on my Iwata HP-CS is in the stem where the hose attaches. I remove the hose, then unscrew the short section that holds the valve. Not hard, but a pain if it starts to stick while you're painting something.