Net Man

just tried Devcon for the first time

I tried devcon for the first time yesterday. I was using it for a sealer. I brushed it on and rotated it a needed. It is very lumpy and required lots of sanding. Should I thin it? What type of reducer o I need? What can I do to make it smooth? I would like to use it as a top coat. So what do you guys do to get the bait to look so good? What is the best brush to use? Thanks

I tried devcon for the first time yesterday. I was using it for a sealer. I brushed it on and rotated it a needed. It is very lumpy and required lots of sanding. Should I thin it? What type of reducer o I need? What can I do to make it smooth? I would like to use it as a top coat. So what do you guys do to get the bait to look so good? What is the best brush to use? Thanks

are you useing the 30min or the 5 min if you are useing the 30 min i like to float the tube in a cup of hot water to thin it out befor i use it makes it much mor user friendly.

if you are useing the 5 min stuff its not water proff and will turn yellow and peal off on you.

5 min is only good for putting on eyes and hardwear befor useing the 2tom 30 min for the top coat.

Couldn't open the link either. There was a good thread up on D2T a few weeks ago. Here is a link to that thread.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hard-baits/12494-uneven-finish.html

Make sure that you are using the 20 minute stuff vs the 5 min. Also, I would recommend using somethign to turn your lure for a good half hour at least while the epoxy stiffens up. There are some very nice drying wheels that guys have built. I just use coat hanger chucked and turning slowly in my cordless drill and place a piece of tape on the trigger.

I also like to seal the wood with epoxy before paint. It bonds directly to the wood and I think that you have a much smaller chance of the entire finish peeling off when you start getting hook rash or teeth marks in your lure.

Good luck,

Pete

Try clicking the "How To" button, clicking the "Member Submitted Tutorials" option, and go through the tutorials until you reach Devcon 2 ton epoxy finish. Jason did a good job with the subject matter.

I'm anxious to read that tutorial but it just isn't there or I'm missing something?! I went through all the MST's :(

Try clicking the "How To" button, clicking the "Member Submitted Tutorials" option, and go through the tutorials until you reach Devcon 2 ton epoxy finish. Jason did a good job with the subject matter.

Sorry, I looked too; nothing with Devcon in the title? :(

Netman, I sometimes use D2T on my baits. I thin it with just a few drops of Denatured Alcohol until it is thinner than normal. I then brush it on with a brush ( one-use brush so I don't have to clean) and it goes on as smooth as paint, and does NOT yellow. Yep, the 5 min epoxy WILL yellow, and you cannot use it for top coat as it hardens up tooooo quickly.

David

Geez, I hope you're wrong about that, since I see a lot of people here use it as a clear coat.

I use Envirotex Lite, and am about to experiment with Devcon 30 2 ton to coat the insides of my joints before I clear the rest with the Etex. The last time I used the 30 minute was thirty years ago, when I was building surf rods. It was too stiff for the rod wraps, so I wound up using Crystal something or other for the wraps. I used the 30 minute to make a replacement handle for one of my chisels, but it didn't hold up. And it cured out a real light green.

I don't think it will be a problem even if it yellows in the joints.

Time will tell I guess.

I wonder if the yellowing is in the white paint, not the top coat. If the top coat was yellowing, it would seem to me that you'd notice it on darker lures, too.

I know in residential wood work with a clear finish, the sunlight/uv passing through the clear top coat actually breaks down the wood, and compromises the bond with the clear finish. Then the clear cracks because it expands and contracts differently than the wood it's over.

Just a thought, not gospel, for sure.

The Devcon formula seems to change from time to time. Last year they went to a more clear formula and you can tell because both parts are clear in the tube. I bought a pile of it from Walmart last week and some of the tubes are more yellow on the one side and it did turn out more yellow on my lure. Didn't matter for the color scheme that I was doing but if I were doing a lighter colored lure it couuld have been noticeable. I wonder if I had some of the older stuff from last year. I clean out my local Walmart 2 ton supply regularly... :wink: