tncrankpaint

I Need Help?

Your base coat needs to be MATTE, either sanded to get the matte or have matte base in the paint. Water based paint will not stick to a gloss, or semi gloss surface- matte has a rough surface and allows the next coat 'key' onto it. preferably all of these would be white. Look for 'flat white' primers/undercoats. pete

I just repainted a bait I'd already finished and top coated with Envirotex.

I sanded it with 400 grit sand paper first, and the painted without primer. Mistake. I had fish eyes all over. I was able to heat set the first coat, which had stuck for the most part, and then I sprayed a second coat which bonded just fine.

I just hope, now that I've top coated it again, that there are no problems with durability.

Of course, if there are, I'll just sand all the epoxy off and start from scratch. I was just in a hurry. Shame on me.

I take Duck Tape the lure .. and STICK IT ALL OVER THE LURE!! then I pull the tape off.. then roll the lure in flour.. cook in it hot oil.. add salt and pepper.. then paint it!!! Works like a charm... ok ok.. ITS SUNDAY I WANT to have some fun!!!!

Step 1. SCUFF LURE! Scotts bridge Grey or white.. get the shine off!!

Step 2. Sand Lure 400 to 600 grit..

Step 3. Wash lure with Soap and washer (NOT WASHER TATER YOU IDIOT!!! WATER) or Simple Green!!

Step 4. Dry it really good... and dont touch it with your fingers.

Step 5. I use a adhesive primer called bulldog.. it bits into plastic.. auto body guys use it..

Step 6.. Prime the bait like Pete said!!! FLAT PRIMER something with NO GLOSS!!!

Step 7. PAINT THE SUCKER!!

Step 8. CLEAR THE SUCKER!!

STEP 9.. DONT SELL THE SUCKER CHEAP!!! BECAUSE YOU JUST WORKED YOUR BUTT OFF!!!!

Good Lucky and REMEMBER!!! "THEIR ARE NO MISTAKES IN PAINTING ONLY HAPPY ACCIDENTS" Bob ROSS!!

thanks you guys i just started this and I thought that you could just take them out of the box and paint them. some that I have painted have turned out just fine but the others the paint just runs off of them. The paint seems to stick to the bodies that are bone white better for me. I didnt know if you had to sand them before you painted them or not.

...I thought that you could just take them out of the box and paint them...

Some you can. I've painted some lucky crafts that did ok right out of the package, but the original colors of the bait complemented the colors that I was going to paint. I've also had some bomber stuff cause problems.

...some that I have painted have turned out just fine but the others the paint just runs off of them.

This is why I use a primer 90% of the time. The other great thing about using a primer is that it allows you to really control the colors that you get by allowing you to layer better I think. Like the masters have said...a matte white is best.

...I didnt know if you had to sand them before you painted them or not.

I sand none of my plugs...Tape them, wipe them, primer them, paint them, clear them.

Good luck...can't wait to see some pics!