Huskybass

Can anyone here restore the finish on this bait?

This Cabela's Real Image Suspending Jerkbait has served me well for about 10 years.

CabelasRealImage.jpg

As you can see, the battle scars and hook scrapes have taken a toll on it. Can anyone here restore the original finish? A normal paint job would not do it, as the bait had/has incredible flash due to the foil like finish.

Thanks in advance if you can help or know where I can find more baits like this one.

Huskybass

TEN YEARS!!! WOW.

If it's your last one, you are going to be well upset if you lose it. You either want to make a concerted effort to find some more, maybe Ebay. Or, weigh and measure every detail of the lure, with lots of photo's from all angles, so you have a fighting chance of reproducing the bait.

ALso, to faithfully reproduce the bait, you will also need to know its average density. This will enable you to reproduce the amount of float or buoyancy of the lure. If you go this route, PM me and I will tell you how to measure it.

I think he has his answer. I dont think any lure builder would touch that lure for anything. If you find one that does refinish it to your standards and it swims the same send me his name because he can work miracles.:lol: keep fishing it till it wont swim no more. You would probably be better off looking into reproducing it like vodkaman said.

Edited by MTfishingrods

I would leave it alone period! No nail polish not nothing to change the action. I have a few baits like this and have bought new ones that dont catch me as near as many fish. Did you ever see the pic of Kevin VanDam's Smithwick Rogue he used to win the classic in Pittsburgh with? It almost has no foil left on it and he is still whacken toads with it. Just my 2 cents.

There are a lot of wierd and wonderful ideas in the lure historical archives. I cannot see any problem with re-vitalising a few. If it was me, I would credit the original design etc.

In me previous post, I was thinking more of a tutorial on restoration rather than duplication.

Duplication is very possible, but you have to satisfy more equation parameters than lip shape and body size in order to get it to work. Again, I would credit the original design of the antique, because if you don't, someone will spot your intentions and the bad press will kill you.

Personally, I think there is enough undiscovered ideas out there not to consider duplication. I will occasionally take a feature off of an antique and copy it, just to see the effect of the feature and learn a little more. I have learned a huge amount over the last year, but every time I start to think that I have it sorted in my head, I get slapped down with a problem, which then has to be explained how it conforms to the theory, or change the theory to include the problem.

I wasnt thinking duplicating with the intention of reselling or fooling anyone. I was thinking more along the lines of this guy obviously has a favorite bait, that is not made any more and he would like some more to fish with. Duplicating for personal use. Noones going to frown on that. Now if you go and start selling them as originals then I agree. Or even selling them period, you might run into problems.