- - - - -

Can anyone here restore the finish on this bait?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 mark poulson

mark poulson

Advanced Member

• TU Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,780 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:26 PM

Little toads.:wink:
That had to be the sorriest Classic I've ever seen.
Those guys had to have the patience of Job, or else a bottle of Jack.

#22 Vodkaman

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,107 posts
Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:23 PM

There are a lot of wierd and wonderful ideas in the lure historical archives. I cannot see any problem with re-vitalising a few. If it was me, I would credit the original design etc.

In me previous post, I was thinking more of a tutorial on restoration rather than duplication.

Duplication is very possible, but you have to satisfy more equation parameters than lip shape and body size in order to get it to work. Again, I would credit the original design of the antique, because if you don't, someone will spot your intentions and the bad press will kill you.

Personally, I think there is enough undiscovered ideas out there not to consider duplication. I will occasionally take a feature off of an antique and copy it, just to see the effect of the feature and learn a little more. I have learned a huge amount over the last year, but every time I start to think that I have it sorted in my head, I get slapped down with a problem, which then has to be explained how it conforms to the theory, or change the theory to include the problem.

#23 MTfishingrods

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:58 PM

I wasnt thinking duplicating with the intention of reselling or fooling anyone. I was thinking more along the lines of this guy obviously has a favorite bait, that is not made any more and he would like some more to fish with. Duplicating for personal use. Noones going to frown on that. Now if you go and start selling them as originals then I agree. Or even selling them period, you might run into problems.

#24 RiverMan

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:44 PM

I wouldn't paint it.........it will ruin the lure. Just get a can of Rustoleum Lacquer in a rattle can and give it a light coat.....let dry 30 minutes and then give it one more coat. Go fishing.

Jed V.

#25 Huskybass

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:38 PM

When this bait is finally "dead", i really will be bummed.
Posted Image