Jon_570

Reel ?

I have the revo sx and I love it. I have read that the braking on the S is very good too.

The only neg. info I have read about the revos is that the break/tension settings are difficult to set up. I think that is because they have the capacity to spin really really fast so if you loosen them up too much you'll backlash. I found that if you just tighten everything up for the first cast, then gradually loosen it up you'll be fine.

I have heard alot of good things about the high end Revo. All of the people that I have talked to have been very happy with them. Sinbad made an excellent point about the adjustment. Since the Japanese Shimano and Diawa reels have become so popular, many people have ordered them and then just turned around and sold them. All of the new reels of today are shooting at being tricked out. They are "hot" reels to throw. It does not take much to backlash them. Many of us like to think that we are pretty efficient at throwing baitcasters. But as hot as the new reels are, you will have to practice at throwing them. Read my article under general topics about these reels. There is alot of information on them in the article. The largest problem with all of these new reels is the heavy spools. Their "moment of inertia" is really too much. Moment of inertia is the revolution of the spool when you first make the cast. Heavy spools take a fair amount of force to get them started. Once they start that spool wants to continue spinning. This is what causes the backlashes. It is like trying to slow down a freight train once it is running at high speed. That weight gets alot of momentum going. You really need to train the thumb to handle it. The spools on my Scorpion 1000s are as thick and as light as paper. I really wish I could let you hold one. You would freak on how it is made. I still ball them up now and then, but once you get the hang of it you will be just fine. Tighten your stuff down untill you get use to it. You will get the hang of it.

Skeeter

You'll like the Revo S once you practice with it a bit. I own two (2) Revo STXs, one (1) SX and one (1) S. Listen to what Skeeter said...many of the new reels today are really hot, the Revo's are no different, especially the STXs...they are every bit as free as my Daiwa's, including a TD-Ito.

-D

I throw my cranks on TD Sols and LOVE THEM...light, low sitting, and throw 1/8oz baits without problem. I can't speak from experience but people are liking the new TD Pro that Bass Pro sells...it's made in China, but it's only $115 and is supposed to be pretty tough. TD-Zillion's are the best under $300 reel you can buy in my opinion...I own 5. A buddy of mine has had great things to say about the high end revo too. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Skeeter,

How much does a magnesium spool add to the price of a reel?

It seems to me that the lighter spool makes throwing smaller/lighter baits much easier.

I have several Pflueger Summits, which weight 7.8 ozs, and they cast light stuff really well, but they don't compare to the Chronarch 50 MG I have.

It would seem to me that manufacturing aftermarket magnesium spools would be a good business. Those spools would make any of the newer reels an instant winner.

...It would seem to me that manufacturing aftermarket magnesium spools would be a good business. Those spools would make any of the newer reels an instant winner.

You are right sir:

Tuning spools for Shimano reels

I don't know how versitile they are to be used in various models however. I'm a Daiwa guy and I can get lighter drilled spools..aluminum & magnesium...for all of the reels I own. Hope this helps!

I've been looking for a new reel my self.

How does the Quantum Accurist rate if anyone knows, I really want it for what i think is the versatility of it with the flippin switch and all.

BTW these are some of the rebates i have found while looking for reels

Shimano: Curado $50 Citica $30 Cruxis $20

Quantum: Tour Edition and Energy PT $50 , Accurist $30,

Tour edition PTi Energy PTi Catalyst PTi

I've been looking for a new reel my self.

How does the Quantum Accurist rate if anyone knows, I really want it for what i think is the versatility of it with the flippin switch and all.

BTW these are some of the rebates i have found while looking for reels

Shimano: Curado $50 Citica $30 Cruxis $20

Quantum: Tour Edition and Energy PT $50 , Accurist $30,

Tour edition PTi Energy PTi Catalyst PTi $15

Abu Garcia: Revo $50 with purchase of Fenwick or All Star Rod.:yeah:

The Accurist is a good all around reel. I've use one for years, and it's held up fine.

I like the flipping switch for buzz baits, so I can engage the reel the second the lure hits the water, and I can begin the action with the rod while I switch hands. Of course, I got a left handed Kevin VanDam from Bass Pro, and don't have to switch any more.

I think the KVD, also a Quantum reel but made for BPS, is a better reel for the money.

I use one for sight fishing, and for blades and frogs on 50lb. braid.

The only knock on both of these reels is they won't throw light lures well. 3/8oz. is the lightest I can throw well with them. Even though I am using 8lb. line, and a rod rated for 1/8oz.

If you're throwing lighter stuff, and can afford it, the Pflueger Summit is great for the $160 price, or you can splurge and get a Shimano Chronarch MG50, for $250, and it will throw anything.

I was going to get a Quantum but the guy at the tackle shop said if they discontinued the model it would be hard to get parts. They also won't fix them under warranty if its discontinued. If you bought it a month be for they got rid of the model. If thats all true I don't know for sure you may want to check before getting one Grimsbane.:?

I run all Quantum reels and love every one. I usually disassemble them every year before the season and put the Hot sauce right too them. My favorite is seven years old and I can still call Quantum and get parts for it. I have only needed to call once but the service was great and there techs are very helpful. No, I am not a rep for them but I have been impressed with every reel I have bought from them so far. Just my opinion and everyone has a favorite.

Riplip,

I need a spool or two for my Quantum E600's. The brakes wear out, and, in trying to "free" up a balkey brake, I learned the hard way that Quantum plastic and acetone don't mix!

The spools from other Quantums I have fit, but the E600 has a better breaking system, 9 brakes, instead of the 6 brakes in the Accurists I have.

What number are you using to contact Quantum? I got refered to a local repair place (75 miles away), and they don't have parts.

Got a buddy of mine that has the middle Revo and he loves it. I, myself like the round reels. Can't get used to this lo-profile stuff. Been throwing baitcasters since I was 12 years old (about 27 years) . The round reels fit my hands better. Used abu garcia for ever, just have started using the Shimano Calcuttas and love them. I still use the first baitcaster I ever owned ambassedeur 5500C. they sure don't make them like that anymore. How many reels that you bought new today, could you still use in tournaments thity years later.