Jon_570

Reel ?

Mark I went to quantumfishing.com and went to the parts and service. There # 1 - 800-588-9030. The techs have been great. I haven't talked to any one individual just a couple of different people each time. so far no problems. When you go to there website for parts just enter your reel make in the search column(top right) and it'll bring up all the blown up parts lists. just pick the parts by number you need and you can order from there site. I like to speak to someone so I haven't tried a online order yet. I found your reel and was going to add the link but I trhink the download would've been to large. Hope this helps some.

I'm a "Shimano Guy" because many of my reels are from the late 90's when Shimano quality was head and shoulders above the pack. I'm still fishing those Curados, Chronarchs, and Scorpions and do all the service on them. They are bullet proof. What has changed, IMO, is that other companies have increased their quality and performance until it approaches that of Shimano. And that's a very good thing! Nowadays, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a reel from Abu, maybe even from Quantum or Daiwa :D . I got an Abu Revo SX about a year ago and like it. I still see what I feel are design mistakes on some reels. Shimano is not immune - their too big, too heavy reels from the middle of this decade were the wrong design direction and it took Shimano several years, and some market share, to fix that. But I feel pretty good about the state of bass reels available today. They are lighter, cast better, and break less often.

Hard not to go with the quantum reels.. They hold up to abuse very well.. and as before stated they will sometimes send new reels out to replace old ones. I fish the new exo and smokes and love them.. I have had some of the energys and accurists for a long time and most of them are still smooth as silk. 

I agree with the curado 200sf being a great all around reel.  I am (was) a total shimano fan but as I upgraded my curado's to chronarchs, I found the newer stuff developing problems.  Eventually I had 3 chronarchs in the shop and was using my old curado 200sf's admiring them.  Now that shimano downgraded their line (including price)  I didn't know what to do.  Asking the local guides and friends and I am finding that the Lew's reels are working out well.  Other reels mentioned are good but Lew's are getting my vote lately.

Spool weights -  as Skeeter indicated, it's important.  But I think you should choose what they are made of with some thought.  If you throw light baits 3/16 to 3/8 oz, a light spool will cast them better than a heavy spool because it is able to spin up faster with less input force.  But if you are throwing a 3/4 oz carolina rig, a reel with a heavy spool will cast farther because it has more momentum after it is spun up during the cast.  The farthest casting reel I have is an old Abu 4600 C4 reel I use for carolina rigs.  With a 3/4 oz weight, it spins up and diesels along on the cast like a champion.  If I could cast as far with my Shimano Curado E, it would definitely spool the reel.

Check out the prices on light weight spools available from Japan - the cost will take your breath away!  IMO, they're only for the truly warped reel fetishists.