Hoosierdaddy

Envirotex Lite vs. Devcon vs. Flexcoat

I have always used Devcon 2-ton epoxy. But to tell you the truth I would rather use a top coat that I could dip the lure in and place on my turning wheel. Evidentally, this is possible with a product known as Envirotex lite that comes in quantities up to 1 gallon. One person mentioned that Menards occassionally has it on sale for around 40 dollars. I would be interested in this but there is no Menards in my area nor do they have an online store. Does anyone have an online source of this product for near that price?. The best I can find so far is 70 dollars a gallon which is a little pricey. Also I would like to know from those who have used Envirotex lite how they feel about the performance of this product.

There is also mention of a product known as flexcoat. So far I can't find any information on this one.

Hoosierdaddy,

One of the things that you might consider...... I believe that Envirotex is mixed with a hardener or something. If you mix up a batch and then dip your lures then eventually whatever you mix it in and dip your lures into will become low and then you won't be able to dip a lure into the container for complete coverage. Whatever is left in the container will have to be poured onto other lures or wasted. That can get expensive. Maybe some of you Envirotex guys could help with some suggestions.

Skeeter

Does the envirotex lite set up as fast as the devcon does? The reason I wanted to dip is that I want to be able to do 10-15 lures at a time. Devcon gets too gummy by about the third lure. I have slowed it down by mixing it cool, thinning etc.. but I still want something that I can mix a larger batch of and coat all my ready made lures at one time.

Hoosierdaddy,

All of the products you have mentioned are two part epoxies that are mixed together and have a limited working time. If you are using the Devcon and like the results that you are achieving with it I would stick with it. Chilling the Devcon before it is mixed is kinda a waste. Epoxies are a thermal setting material and thus create heat as they set. If you want to use a chilling process place your Devcon after it is mixed on a clean paint can lid(1 gallon) I place Ice packs underneath and this give you about 8 to 10 minutes extra working time. I am able to coat about a dozen to a dozen and a half lures per batch of Devcon. ( I use Devcon to seal my balsa baits) I also thin the Devcon with MEK. I use a half of a syringe of Devcon to 1 standard eye dropper of MEK per batch. If you are wanting to get away from using Epoxies and just want to dip your baits. I would suggest using an automotive clearcoat such as duracryl available through Pittsburg Paints(PPG)

HOOSIERDADDY! I would strongly suggest "COMPONENT SYSTEMS" or www.csipaint.com Your going to pay for good clear coat and it cost me $15 a pint whole sale and it goes $23-31 retail. A gallon is up around$65. I don't know how you people store it but I buy small expensive amounts so that its not wated to air time(harden) . You may find this at location that they sale chip proof jig paint. Some (like gander mountain will have it up to $3.80 per 2oz botle. Sometimes its nice to have small jars. Seems my best luck comes from glass jars. This clear coat brushed on twice , keeps my lures scratch free .Never had damaged paint from this product. I have not used other clear coats or expoxy's that are mentioned on these posts. its worth the expense to me as a hobby lure builder. Experimenting I do more of than profit.Quality first but NO quanity found here.

E-mail them and request the nearest location of sales and add to the list >national chains. I know gander mountain down the road has it and most of my tackleshops near me will get it for me if i order it .Most anyone who sells jig paint can get it. I know you can mail order it threw 12 diffrent suppliers like tacklecraft ect.ect. I'm a hobbyest and C.P.S. sent me free samples but it was the dry powder jiog paint. I get tackle shops to order it by the pint for $21...for 1 or 2oz I goto G.Mountain or dicks,dunhams or other local discount sports stores. Did you request from C.C. if you could purchase being that you are a lure makerbut just starting out like I did? They may want a tax# . If I had a tax# I would be in great shape but I have no intrest YET!

I bought some of the Component Systems clearcoat from Jann's Netcraft. At first, I was pleased, because you can dip the lure in and let it hang to dry. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but it never got hard, it stayed flexible. It wouldn't chip, but I could put my fingernail right through it, and scratch the airbrush paint. I personally LOVE the results I've had with Devcon 2-ton epoxy, both as a sealer and a clearcoat. The only problem I've had with the Devcon are super small bubbles all over the bait, and I've tried and tried to get them out, any advice appreciated! :lol: I can tell you this: I've painted many lipless crankbaits, and fished them alongside brand new Rattletraps. Fished over a few rocky jetties and points, my devcon coated bait miraculously still had paint on the nose(altough chipped down to the white undercoat around the very corners of the nose) while the store bought one only had paint left on the sides. I was pleased then, and I plan on staying with Devcon until something miraculous comes out. By the way, you can buy the flexcoat from the Cabela's lurecrafting catalog, but be sure to get the thicker formula, and it is said it is like Devcon, but flexes more and chips less, although I haven't had any personal experience with the Devcon chiping on my baits. Wow! Hoped this helped!

Hoosier,

I have tried both the Devcon and FlexCoat and find the Devcon much more friendly to use. FlexCoat takes much longer to set up...maybe 8 hours instead of two. I have also personally found the Devcon to be more dent resistant and to go on thicker which for my use is a good thing. I would guess that in many cases you will have to use two coats of FC where one coat of Devcon would work. I have not tried the Envirotex.

I think BlackJack provided you with some good advice. One thing I might add is the use of a hairdryer on the Devcon if you are not using it already. Next time your Devcon starts to get a bit sticky, paint it on the bait anyway. Then grab the hairdryer and run on low and hold it maybe 2-4 inches from the bait. Rotate the bait as you do this so that any one part doesn't get too warm. In less than a minute you will see the Devcon change back to a liquid....even water-like if you let it go that far. If you start to see it bubble your getting too warm. I do this to every one of my baits as it gives them a "perfect" finish everytime..no bubbles and not a single low spot ever. I might add that after you warm it with the HD there will be several tiny bubbles that you can simply "brush over" to correct them.

BTW, does anyone know where you can buy Devcon in bulk?

Blackjack,

I'm curious about the duracryl product blackjack. How does this stuff compare to Devcon? Also, are there problems with it dripping after it has been dipped? How long of a cure time?

Good luck Hoosier,

Jed

I know alot of the guys down south are using the duracryl. I have it and use when I dont want a high build on a bait(suspender) It is not as tough as Devcon or any of the other epoxies but it cures quite fast. I imagine if you placed the baits under a heat lamp like they do when using on autos it would cure alot faster and might be harder. You can literally dip the baits hang them and redip in a couple of hours. It has a nice gloss finish. I used it a bunch of old Cordell One knocks that I painted up for myself and a few other guys for the Hudson River. I will say that it is not as tough because after throwing the one knocks over underwater jetties and structure all day the baits looked kinda rough. The baits all exhibited chips on the nose where the bait was in direct contact with the rocks. They still were fishable but when I got home I stripped them and redid them with 2 coats of Flexcoat. I have stopped using the flexcoat as well and now I am using a 2:1 Industrial epoxy that is tougher than them all. This stuff kicks butt. But it is a pain to mix. The proportions have to be exact(1 0r 2grams to much either way and it will not cure)

Thanks for the input BlackJack, I will probably try the duracryl, have tried virtually everything else. I am building floats so the fact that the stuff can't take a beating on the rocks isn't quite as impt to me as it is to the crankbaiters. I like the idea of being able to "dip" the float, set it aside, and then repeat a couple hours later, would make things a whole lot easier.

Hoosier,

If you have any problems with the hairdryer and Devcon send me a personal message and I will get back to you right away with some help. I suspect you will become much happier with the Devcon once you get the process down. Good luck!

Jed

That brings up another question. Do additional coats of Devcon reduce...increase... or in any way effect a lures bouyancy?

Additional coats would add weight.. A second coat probably doesn't effect it as much. I really have't had to add more than one coat of DevCon

This is a pretty old thread, but here's some info about epoxy adding weight to lures.

I think it was Dave (Vodkaman) who did some experimenting with how much weight epoxies added to a lure and if I remember correctly he said it was negligible. Epoxy was only slightly heavier than water and while it was heavier than water the top coat also added to the size of the lure. Even if in very small amounts, so that would also have to be figured in as well since it would change the water displacement of the bait.

Everything I've repeated here is from memory and my memory ain't what it used to be. Maybe Dave will see this thread and chime in with his findings.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

Hey Nate,

It just goes to show how much valuable information is stored in the archives that is still relevant today. I lurked around at TU for a little over a year before I finally joined and started painting/building cranks. Just wish I could remember half of everything I read. As far as I'm concerned TU is by far the best place on the planet to learn about building baits.

Ben