HookUp

Devcon 2

Will any 2-part epoxy mix work? (ie Locktite)

Or is there something special about Devcon 2 that works best of fishing lures? If so, what?

And after performing a search, I noted the 30-minute curing one mentioned the most. Is this the best? I've always liked the 24-cure epoxy and never minded waiting a day for anything to cure.

If you are refering to it as a top coat, you will have to rotate the 24 hour for a long time. If you don't have a drying wheel I just don't see it happening. With the 30 minute, even without a drying wheel, you can hand turn 20 to 30 minutes and put it down. If you are refering to gluing components like bills etc., I have used Loctite and greatly prefer Devcon. Since I started using Devcon I have not used any Loctite. With Loctite I have had problems with it curing properly and have had some cranks that after a day of fishing the bills loosen up. I have never had that happen with Devcon. Maybe others have had different experiences.

mossy maker

If you are refering to it as a top coat, you will have to rotate the 24 hour for a long time. If you don't have a drying wheel I just don't see it happening. With the 30 minute, even without a drying wheel, you can hand turn 20 to 30 minutes and put it down. If you are refering to gluing components like bills etc., I have used Loctite and greatly prefer Devcon. Since I started using Devcon I have not used any Loctite. With Loctite I have had problems with it curing properly and have had some cranks that after a day of fishing the bills loosen up. I have never had that happen with Devcon. Maybe others have had different experiences.

mossy maker

You are absolutely right about Devcon 2T 30 minute. I use it religiously, and have never had any problem with it. On crankbaits you must rotate the part to get an even coating. On my lead jigs I never rotate, and they come out flawless. Just keep the jig standing head up. JMO

Hi

I am not a chemist but I do know by extensive internet searches that not all epoxies are the same, I also know that from expensive mistakes :(.

I know Etex is sound and from postings on this board Devcon 2 ton is also a good epoxy although I have not used it myself. I have not heard mention of anyone using locktite but it sounds more like a glue to me.

Etex is a long cure which like you I do not mind but Devcon is a lot quicker. I have found though that the claimed curing times are rarely met and usually take a substantial amount of time longer. Etex is not, by the way, designed as a glue but as a finish coating and loses its air really wel which is a key factor in avoiding the dreaded fish eyes.

Yes, "Don't mess with what works" is a factor here but Devcon 2T and Etex are used extensively and are known to work well as clearcoats. Might other epoxies? Sure. Go ahead and try them but if they don't work, you'll have to peel it all off and start from scratch. Devcon Two Ton levels out excellently after brushing it on, cures in a reasonable time, wears well and doesn't yellow. Envirotex Lite (aka Etex) is less expensive, thinner and longer curing but othewise has similar properties. Why not use them if they're available?

Unless you have time and money to burn, I'd stick with 2 ton or Etex. A finished lure with hours in it is no place I'd want to experiment.

Speaking of experimenting, a couple of days ago I tried mixing my Etex in the bottom of a spray paint can instead of in a plastic mixing cup.

The Etex seemed to mix fine, the lures I coated came out fine, but the left over Etex in the can bottom is still tacky and soft. Weird.

Does this mean there's a maximum thickness you can apply it, after which it won't cure? Or did the unmixed portion migrate up and sit on top? I had about 1/4" in the bottom left.