Boskabouter

How to handle transparent Createx colours?

I'm wondering how you guys handle transparent colours.

Let's say I have a bait that's sprayed with opaque white. After that I spray the bait red with transparent red. Then I want green stripes over it.

If I spray that with transparent green it gets much darker then the actual colour. Should I build up the green with very thin layers or should I take into consideration that transparent red + transparent green turn into dark? Any input much appreciated.

I use mostly transparent colors and have found that less is best. Of course the green is going to make the red darker, but spray it on in as thin a layer as you can 'til you get the effect you want. I am not as good as many of these other guys on here so I'm sure that some of the experts will chime in and give you better advice. HELP OUT HERE DEAN! This is THE guy that can help you a lot. Good luck.

David

After the trans red I would shoot the stripes in opaque white,pearl white or pearl silver depending on the look you want. Then layer the trans green until its the shade you want. I dont think you'll ever get the look you want shooting the trans green over anything but a light color.

You could get a bottle of opaque green. This is one of those things that will require you playing around a bit. It really depends on how you want to handle it. You can layer it with a white base as suggested or you can layer and layer until you get the color you want. I would recommend drying in between each light coat and it will eventually turn into the green that you see in the bottle, but it may take many layers to do that. Layering is a great thing to learn moving forward. You'll be able to get some really cool effects/colors by layering. I know I probably didn't help much and like capt said...there are some amazing artists on here and they can maybe give you some better pointers! Good luck!

6 feet deep, actually you made a whole lot of sense. Layering transparent colors will really take your painting to the next level. And the only way to become proficient at it is to be open-minded and fearless with the airbrush. This is the only way (especially with water-base acrylics) you'll learn to get a feel for what you the final clearcoated product will look like. In your particular example, Edgewood has you covered too. And like catsully18 said, often less is best. I mix a custom color once in a while, but more often than not I do it on the bait by layering transparent colors. For example, I almost never premix olive, but get the shade I want on a particular lure by layering brown over gray scales, green and toning with yellow, all transparents. You can really make your colors pop distinctively this way. This is another reason too, that I prefer a gravity feed brush over a siphon feed: I can clean and change colors quicker. Sometimes the purple that I want is simply trans red over trans gray over pearl; you get the picture.

Dean

These are not 'Createx' colors, but clear is clear, as everyone is saying, what you put underneath, changes the color on top- start with light colors and work out to darker shades. These are not all 'clear' colors, but some are that watered down they may as well be - some are 'Tamiya' clear and some diluted'Liquitex'. As Dean say's, just play with them. pete

colors.jpg

6 feet deep, actually you made a whole lot of sense....

Hey Dean, can you talk to my wife...:lol:

I mix a custom color once in a while, but more often than not I do it on the bait by layering transparent colors....This is another reason too, that I prefer a gravity feed brush over a siphon feed

This is the type of information that has helped me to grow in my painting faster than if I was just playing around on my own. Layering will give you so much opportunity in the long run. Another helpful bit of advice, is to look in the gallery...guys like Haz, Dean, FatFingers, Rookie, b75nweav, kellure, bentonb, snax, etc just to name a few. There are some REALLY talented cats on here and if you stare at the bait long enough, light bulbs will start going off.

You guys are awesome!

Thanks for all the input, I've learned al lot in just a few posts.

Pete thanks for taking the time and putting up that pic.

Nevertheless I'm still a bit confused on when to use opaque and when to use transparent. If I want the shoot a Perch scheme I would like to see those typical perch colours. If I start shooting with transparents I bet the colours show up differently then I think/ wish they would. Is this when I should use opaques? Or should I practise transparents so much that I get the hang of it achieving the colours I have in mind?

Is there some sort of scheme or table available where blending of colours is explained?

...Is this when I should use opaques? Or should I practise transparents so much that I get the hang of it achieving the colours I have in mind?

This is where experimentation comes into play. You're going to have to play with the different techniques to get the result that you're looking for...only you know what you want to see. Remember, with the Createx opaques you can always thin with water. This way you don't lay down thick coats, but they will be thicker than trans colors. Go to a local tackle shop or walmart and buy some cheap $1-$2 cranks in different sizes...just play around, with no expectations other than to learn what your paint is going to do. You can also get a white sheet of typing paper and play around with layering paints as well. Write down how many layers and of what colors and you'll create a little custom color chart. Read the "recipe" thread and just paint some of those schemes without thinking about them...you'll be amazed at what you'll learn by just painting. Good luck and post some pics...:teef: