rlcam

Devcon w/out lure turner???

What is the method or time table to turn lures if I use devcon but don't have a turner yet?Also, on the baits I have finished I used Krylon Clear Glaze,when I get a turner or get the hang of the devcon can I put the devcon directly over the clear glaze and would the clear glaze be ok to put on between colors (which doesn't really matter, if I mess up I can't wash this off like water base paints)and finalize with the devcon for top coat.

Man I got to get me one of those turner thingies(hmmmm,lets see,my birthday is in Nov. and then Christmas,I know these great guys on here will get me one,but thats so long to wait)oh,oh I am mumbling to my self,anyway thanks in advance for the tips on devcon...Rattle Can Rob

If you have a cordless drill, just bend a coat hanger into a jig and use a little wire to suspend the lure inside the hanger. A little tape on the trigger at a low speed and you are all set! It is all I have used for two years.

That's a great idea Yake Bait.I'll bring the old Dewalt to work and give it a go.Didn't someone say when you mix it,it will have some bubbles but they will go away when you brush it on?

You need to mix it well and with that you will always get some bubbles in whatever container you are mixing in. When you brush on in a thinner layer, the bubbles should come out. Use just a little acetone to thin after you mix and it will give you a little more work time. This helps a lot if you are covering a larger lure. A quick breath with a heat gun can help too but you need to be very sparing with application of heat because you can get into bubbles from trapped air in the wood. I've been having good luck with an epoxy pre-coat, then painting over that. Everythign gets sealed in and you don't have to worry about bubbles on your top coat.

Since I do my (Luring) at work would Dicknights be better than Devcon,can't you just dip it in the DN instead of the mixing and

brushing ? I have got some guys here that want me to do some

repaints for them and I don't know how the Krylon Clear Glaze

top coat I use will hold up,so I want to go with something

different...Robert

Before I built a turner, I'd just do it by hand and it came out fine. Put a wire hanger on the nose and tail of the bait and reverse it every min for the first 15 mins, then every 5 mins for the next 15 mins, then once or twice more during the next 15 mins. If you measured and mixed it properly, that should do it. Dick Nite is much thinner. If you just dip it and hang it, it can collect at the end of the bait and get a rash of bubbles in that area. I doubt you could flip it quickly enough manyually to avoid that. I dip mine, let it drip for 15 secs or so, then spin it for 30 mins on a turner.

I've got to be the messiest guy around. A little hint. Get some thin rubber gloves. Before I had a turner, I just mixed alot of etex, and poured it on one end, and then turned it over. I put a cup under it, and caught the run off, and poured it on again. Not pretty, but it worked. Just keep turning, as stated before. Good luck Doug

Speaking of motors, I'm still using a $7 Macro Yang AC-1011 4 rpm timing motor on my little 6 bait dryer after 3 years and a few hundred baits. I got mine from American Science and Surplus but occasionally see them on Ebay. It has a surprising amount of torque but I'd probably go with something beefier if I were turning musky baits. It has worked fine on baits up to 1 1/4 oz.