rlcam

Matte finish bills

4 posts in this topic

Luckycraft(and i'm sure other co.'s) has some lures with matte finish bills.On a few of my repaints I forgot to tape bill before I sanded the bait body(really bright)so I just sanded the entire bill very lightly,just enough to get the shine off,and I kinda like the results.They look just like the LC's.Does anyone have an oppinion on whether it affects the performance of the lure or its appeal to the fish.It seems like even though the bills are clear they would have a bit if reflection to them.Don't know if the matte look would make the bait appear larger or smaller,what cha think guys...Rob

I find no difference between sanded and non sanded bills. On some I sand to get the matte finish others I don't. Sort of what ever strikes me at the moment.

A quick-I mean quick dip in acetone will do it.

Personally I spend most of my time trying to keep them shiny/clear, so they disappear under water. pete

The matte lips I've seen are on LC craw pattern baits that have the claw arms out on the lip. I suppose they do it so the arms will stand out against a translucent background? It increases the perceived size of the bait and I prefer clear. If the lip has been sanded, clearcoating it will fill in the tiny scratches and make it clear again, if that's what you want.