reefslinger

new guy

Hey guys! New to T.U. and new to tackle making. I've daydreamed for countless hours of my own lure designs/ideas. I'm now doing my homework...have an airbrush on its way. Converting my little workspace in the basement into a small tackleshop:wink:. Picked up a pancake compressor 4gallon, can't believe how loud it is.....almost crapped my pants the first time it kicked in when I wasn't expecting it! LOL. So I cleaned out one of my cupboards and lined it with carpet and underlay, put in a vent whole and it dropped the decibals down a bit. Anyways, this is a great site! so much info flowing around, the co-operation and support from everyone here is outstanding!

A quick question. Is there a crankbait that swims up/down as apposed to side/side?

Welcome aboard reefslinger.

I know you said you put your compressor in an enclosure and added a vent but make darn sure you have vented it weel so that plenty of fresh air can circulate. Compressors generate an emormous amount of heat and need air circulating to cool them.

Roger Gruvsjo AKA swede here makes a crank/jerk bait that has an up and down action when retrieved. It "gets it on" pretty dang good.

Maybe PM him and ask for a picture.

Again,Welcome!

Regards,

Blades

Thanks for the welcome guys.

B&B - Yah, I'm gonna keep an eye on the temps for sure. The cupboards about 5' long x 2'wide x 3' wide, so I think there's enough space to keep it cool, unless the compressor ran continuously.

PB - Those handcarved swimbaits are sweeeeet. I hope to someday be able to make one. Are there smaller sized swimbaits out there? Most of the ones seem pretty big-too big for bass.

reefslinger.

You didn't mention what types of paints your planning to use so I just wanted to remind you of two things:

1) If your using water based paints, wear a particulate mask to that over spray out of your lungs.

2) If your using enamels consider the flammability and the fumes, especially the reduce and the lacquer thinner. I would recommend a good respirator with this type of paint and venting it to the outdoors.

Welcome to TU,one of the best past times I have ever had.You will not find a

better or more knowlegable(spelling?) group of guys than right here.Tell family

and friends goodbye, for a new you is about to be born...one that looks at

everything and thinks how can that help me in carving or painting lures...

one whos every thought is about making lures or getting on here to see

what someone else has made or trick they have discovered.The most fun a man

can have with his clothes on.Hope the ideas/designs work out for you...Robert

Spike-I picked up a sample pack (8colors @1/2oz) of each opaque/clear/metalic airbrush paint. Figured this would get me started. I've picked up a respirator and I'll use it regardless of what I am spraying. I'm also in the middle of changing over another cupbared into a spraybooth. I already have a large inline fan (240cfm I think) that I want to hook up on the bottom of the booth and then run in through a homade charcoal scrubber. The scrubbed air will be recirculating in the room. Is that ok even with enamels? or do I have to vent outside(that would suck).

Rlcam - It's funny you mentioned the time. I can't believe the time and money that has been flowing out. I originally told my wife that this would save me money. HAHA yah right! Delusions of grandure! The good thing is I'm enjoying just learning about this stuff. I can't wait untill I actually start making stuff. I hope to take some pics and document my learning curve for those that are interested.