croixboy

Repainting Old Baits

Hey guys. How would I go about repainting my old crankbaits? I'm sure my answer to this is already on here some where but I only have dial up and would take me forever to find it. Would I need to remove the old paint first? What type of paint would I need to use? What do I use to seal the paint so it will not chip as easy? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

I use -mostly- steel wool or sand paper to the cover of the lure, after that I paint lure white and do the coloring I want. Usually that's enough.

There's also possibility scratch the lacque and paint away from plastick lure by the blade of the knife, but meaning is not to cut chips from the lure.

Croixboy,all I am doing right now are repaints and I either lightly sand or take off all the paint depending on how bad the old paint is,you want a smooth surface to start with.Don't use a knife it will gouge in the plastic or wood,use 220 sandpaper or finer.I am doing some now for a guy who tried to get paint off with a knife and I had to get down to bare lure and start.I use rattle cans and start with Krylon Fusion in white.I then spray my colors and details.I top coat with Krylon Clear Glaze.You can do some really good work with rattle cans if you take your time(of course not as good as airbrush).I use the better paint from Wal Mart,not the cheaper stuff.I found out it does not give a good a job as the other.Hope this helps...Robert

A sanding tip. On wood lures, never sand all the way down to bare wood. It's usually softer than the finish and you will not be able to maintain the shape of the bait's surface trying to sand both a hard and a soft surface at the same time. Whatever amount of sanding gives you a smooth solid surface is the maximum amount of sanding you want to do. I start with 220 and then finish with 400. If it's already solid, just sand the shine off the existing clearcoat with 400.