basser_jim

Perfect Workshop

Kind of funny you posted this. I just finished my basement a few weeks ago.

I bought an oven vent at the local DIY store for $99 and built my own fume hood. I set my air compressor in there for painting.

I works really well, not one sniff has leaked up stairs.

And recently, my fiance had just commented on my "winter disposition" since I've completed it. She says I've been much easier to live with.:nuhuh:

joshimoto son

laboratory.JPG

fumehood.JPG

laboratory.JPG

fumehood.JPG

laboratory.JPG

fumehood.JPG

laboratory.JPG

fumehood.JPG

laboratory.JPG

fumehood.JPG

laboratory.JPG

fumehood.JPG

laboratory.JPG

fumehood.JPG

laboratory.JPG

fumehood.JPG

2872_thumb.attach

2873_thumb.attach

Jim,

I swear to this! I was just turning some wood on my lathe and was thinking about our future move back to MI and how I would set-up my workshop. Outbuilding, basement or what.

I had a heated outbuilding when we last lived there and it was great so I am leaning that way.

I will be following this thread because I am sure there is a lot of experience to be garnered.

So, come on guys - even if you can't afford the perfect shop - what would you wish you could have? There just may be some strange ideas that would work and some ideas of how to accomplish it.

Great thread Jim!

Right now I have wood paneling in my basement. I plan on painting it white while I am home for week after my wife has the baby. I concur with the lights. I have to put more in also.

As far as ventilation goes... I just upgraded mine from 4" to 6" and put an inline fan in with two dampers. I also insulated the pipes. The inline fan has a light switch so I can control it also. I can definitely tell when I turn it on.

Around the workstation I put some foam mats so that it is easier on the feet.

I'm a woodworker by trade, so this question gets asked from time to time.

I agree with all above, including added light of different spectrum for the painting/finishing area.

Lights on opposing walls (like an automotive sprayroom setup)

More electrical than you need, including 220V & 3 phase just in case the CNC bug strikes you :)

Dust extraction, preferrably in-floor with electric controlled blast gates.

Dust collector & compressor housed outside.

Air scrubbers overhead anywhere you plan on standing.

In-floor radiant heating for those northern folk, central A/C for my place.

Best tip I've heard if you're building: figure out how much space you'll need & build it 3 times bigger.

Cool thread :yay:

Ventilation is number one. I use a special range hood I found at Sears that goes up to 300cfm(variable reostat). I also have a secondary fan at the outlet of the workshop to boost that as required. I use 6" duct work. I also had a heavy duty clear shower curtain left over from the recent move that I cut up and used magnets to attached the the hood to provide a 3 sided enclosure.

Second is lighting. I swapped out the lights in the range hood with the new flourescents for a brighter light. I also positioned the work bench to get general light from overhead. Finally I also have a couple of the Delta magnetic base work lights hanging off the side/front of the hood to give me spot lights as required anywhere on the workbench.

Third I bought a rolling sears tool chest with top section also and all molds/bags/colors/etc go into that.

Final major items are good workbench, customer built plastic drying cabinet and an overhead set of shelves that hold the rubbermaid containers with all of my finished goods inventory.

By the way here is the most important thing I found out the hard way. When we built the house of our dreams(be there the rest of our lives) 4 years ago I built all of this directly into my workshop. Unfortunately in this day and age I had a career opportunity that I could not pass up about 2 hours south of where we lived so I sold the house and because everything was built in it had to stay. When I pretty much re-created the entire set-up again in the new workshop I made one big change. EVERYTHING is freestanding and portable so that it breaks down quickly and goes with me in case I move again. This probably guarantee's we stay here for the long haul, but I don't want to have to re-create again.

The white walls is a must. I remember this from my days as a serious b+w photographer, white walls in the dark room made a huge difference. While your at it, why not include a purpose built photo booth, keep the cameras away from the workshop though, too much in the air.

Consider sound proofing the compressor, even if kept outside. Why give anyone a chance to complain.

A large sink and drain plumbed in is also a high priority. An old fridge for the chemicals and glues etc. Stuff lasts much longer when kept cool (not frozen!), plus a few cans of refreshment to celebrate the successes.

A comfortable old sofa to take the load off, between pours.

Okay... I got it now.

What else I do have in my shop is a 27" that is connected to the DVR. That sits right on front of our "extra" kitchen table and chairs. This is for coffee drinkers and slackers.

I also have a band saw for cutting out my swimbait "dipping sticks".

I'll keep it feasable. I would like a drill press or possibly even a mill.

A nice sized aquarium with lots of light.

I really do need a pressure pot... or two.

I would also like to be able to keep a 55 gallon drum mixed automatically and just have to go over to a spout and pour out the amount I need.

Shelves!!!! Storage for me is a big thing. If everything had a place, then my basement would not get trashed so much... Okay, yes it would, but I would be able to clean up much faster.

Oohh... something to shake my colorants and soft plastic paints.

Like those little thingy's they have at the doctors office that shakes up the medicine vials. Nooo I'm not talking about the nurses!

Magnetic molds!!!! Please let's get away from the thumb screws and wing nuts. Production would increase greatly. Still make them from aluminum just insert magnets. Mill out the edge of one side on opposing sides so you can separate them. Come on DELW... I know you can do it. I'm giving away free ideas here.

That's it for now.

joshimoto son