pat28

New turner, new lathe, new bench

Hey guys! With the tons of great info I found here, I could not wait any longer to get myself a lathe and start spinning some big plugs for fun (and I believe addiction). Knowing myself enough to see that if I ever bought the turning tools at the same time as the lathe, I would forget about building a bench and start turning immediately on the woodshop floor, I decided it would be safer to buy just the lathe, build the bench, and then order the turning tools. Well, it took me three days' work to get this bench done, and now it seems like the tools will never arrive! I can't wait to bite the dust... By the way, thanks for the info and experience that you reveal here. I am looking forward to sharing some of my own experience (and problems!) with you soon! Pat

lathe bench1.jpg

lathe bench1.jpg

lathe bench1.jpg

lathe bench1.jpg

lathe bench1.jpg

lathe bench1.jpg

lathe bench1.jpg

lathe bench1.jpg

2881_thumb.attach

Hi again guys! The bench's structure is made of treated pine (4*4) with 6 inch studs, and thus weighs a good 160-170 pounds on its own. The siding is made of insertions of yellow cedar in frames of western red cedar. My girlfriend has already complained that the cedar chest I built for her a year ago and that found a spot in our bedroom is just as nice as this bench, which sits in the garage... I just don't get it... :-)

Pat,

Very nice indeed. With that talent, I can't wait to see your lures.

Nice lathe as well. It puts my little mini-lathe to shame - waiting until I relocate to buy a larger lathe. Meanwhile, I will have to do with what I have. Turning IS addictive. I suggest you put a picture of your GF in the work area as you probably won't see her for a while. :lol:

Pat,

Very nice indeed. With that talent, I can't wait to see your lures.

Nice lathe as well. It puts my little mini-lathe to shame - waiting until I relocate to buy a larger lathe. Meanwhile, I will have to do with what I have. Turning IS addictive. I suggest you put a picture of your GF in the work area as you probably won't see her for a while. :lol:

Another disclaimer that will go unheeded!! :lol: