northbassman

Weighting question.

I am new at lure making. I do know the concept of what you are trying to achieve. What I am wondering is should I drill the holes for my weight in the sides of the bait or come up through the bottom?? Also when should I test to see if I have weighted the bait correctly.. For example should I carve the lure weight it seal it and stick in the lip and test it before priming and painting??? If I do and it is not weighted correctly and I add more then should I seal it again and keep doing that... or do you weight it once how you think paint the bait and try it and if it needs more drill it add more weight fill it and re paint or what? Some help on this would be very very much appreciated. Thanks Guys.

Hi,Regarding where to drill the holes,I drill from the bottom and exactley in the center of the lure and I am pretty certain that most other do the same the only exception to this would be if you were building a wire through bait.If you were to drill from the side it would be very difficult to get the lure to hang correctly.

What I do is get the shape I want drill my holes and seal the lure then add my weight and test you can attach the lip on a temp.basis,if it wrong you can add or remove a bit without to much hassle.If you have finished it and painted it and find it's wrong it's a lot more of a problem to adjust the weight.

:P Hi there, I agree with Joe. I drill my weight holes from the bottom up and weight them. First I shape my baits and have the hole centered and drilled while the blank is still flat and square. I fill the hole with lead or use split shot of a predetermined weight. If I fill the hole with lead and then check it out. If its too heavy drill out alittle at a time. Once you get the weight you want you can lock your drill press at that depth and do more baits. Fill the hole with lead, cool and then drill out the same amount out of each bait. I don't paint my baits before I test them. I usually just put on a sealer before I test them. As far as the lips go, I temperarily put them in the bait for testing. My lip slots are tight enough that the lip will stay in for testing. Hope this is of some help and good luck. Ken Schmitz Mylures

Not sure who's post your refering too but I don't set my split shot untill the lure sits up -right every time to the specs that I've desided to give it. The type of lure will give me the action not the counter weight. My post(I think) requested you check the ballance after each session. After every things been tested except the paint> you then seal the holes up and then paint then add the hardware back on cause the paint will not alter your ballance.Yes the holes are drilled from the bottom. the holes should be oblong to except the shot and so the shot can be moved but not set or sealed till your ready to paint. This is just my way.*(oblong as in accross the lure not vertical) The counter weights vary according to the lure style. ie( a zarra spook stlye is wt.diffrently then say a bass oreno)

O.K. so what you guys are saying is that I should drill from the bottom up, in the center of the lure. For example if the lure was 3in long then drill a hole up from the bottom at 1.5in from each end..

Now if you drill the hole from the bottom up and you put some lead shot in it then how do you keep it from falling out when testing, or is that what the rubber band is for put that over the hole tokeep the lead shot from falling out? Or do you even use lead shot.. Is there something better or easier? Thanks Guys I hope these aren't to dumb of questions..

Hi,when I said drill in the center of the lure what I should have said Is if the lure is an inch wide then make sure you drill your hole at half an inch so that it is central otherwise you lure will hang lop sided.Should have made what i said clearer.I use some electrical tape top hold the weight in whislt I test it.Hope that answers your question.

Thanks Joe that makes it alot more clear. Is the whole however usually by the hook hanger in front of it back of it or where. Or where is a good starting spot? And what do you use to fill in the hole with when you are done testing it do you use a dowel rod of some sort or what? Thanks your info is very very helpfull.

I use automotive body filler to fill the holes,the secret is to drill the holes only a 1/4 of an inch deeper than you require that way you haven't got loads of exrta hole to fill.

The main reason I use automotive body filler is it is very light and goes rock hard in a short space.

Regarding where to start from that is really a matter of experience,you get a good idea of where to put the lead.The first thing I would do if I was not sure where to put the lead is when you have your shape use flat lead with elastic bands attached and try them on the lure that way you can move them about without any problems when you find the position that you want the lead then mark and drill the holes and the lead should be in the right place.

Hi No prob's,I hope you have as much fun as I have over the years making my own baits.

It is something that seems really popular over in the States,but here in the U.K there seems to be hardley anyone building there own bait it either that or there all keeping quite about.