Florida Don

How to straighten wire??

I did a search and didn't come up with anything - so here is a question for you wire guys.

I bought a wire former and am practicing bending wire. I also purchased some stainless in a coil. Although the loops are pretty big in the coil, I still need to straighten the wire after cutting off a piece.

I was thinking of drawing it through a wooden mandrel or something like that, then I realized that one of you guys probably has an easy way to do it.

Is there a tool available?

As usual, thanks for all your advice.

The SS wire I have is supplied wound onto a 1/2" dia card tube. It is a nightmare of kinks and bends. I pull it around a metal rail (no sharp corners). This solves my problem, it now forms large (1ft) loops, but I can use it without having to fiddle about.

I too would like to know if there is a better way.

The SS wire I have is supplied wound onto a 1/2" dia card tube. It is a nightmare of kinks and bends. I pull it around a metal rail (no sharp corners). This solves my problem, it now forms large (1ft) loops, but I can use it without having to fiddle about.

I too would like to know if there is a better way.

I was thinking of taking a couple pieces of wood with a notch drilled in it.

Put that in a vice, cut the wire from the coil and then draw the wire through the notch in the wood.

But I don't like the extra work, so will probably go with the cut lengths.

Still though I have to deal with the material I have on hand.

I am not so sure that pulling the wire through a small hole will actually do the job. The SS wire will retain the smaller bends. But it is easy enough to try out.

By bending the wire around a rail, the SS is physically deformed and so is given a new shape. It takes a few seconds to straighten a yard, enough to supply a few lures.

Let us know how you solve the problem. Good luck.

I buy "torsion straightened" ss wire. Is this the same wire that you are all talking about, or are you using unstraightened? I use the torsion straightened stuff for spinner shafts, or whatever I want to be straight, and got some other ss wire for whatever else.

The torsion straightened stuff is about a buck higher in price, but springs right off the roll.

Not sure this is what you want. Seems like if it str
aightens single strand wire leaders that it might straighten wire used in tackle making?
Wire Straightener
- Have a bent leader? Straighten it in seconds with Du-Bro's Wire Straightener. Simply clamp the straightener onto your wire leader and pull. Your leader will come out straight and ready to use again. Can also be used on multi-strand cable. Available in two sizes to fit wire sizes #5 through #20.

dubro2.jpg

Do a search for DuBro Wire Straightener to find an updated price...etc.

Edited by Spike-A-Pike
Removed text from post

You can also use the wire rod they use for welding. Our welders use them. It comes in 36" long sticks, in a wide variety of diameters and in a wide variety of materials (ie. stainless steel ,aluminum, copper, brass, cold rolled steel and a few other materials.) Just my :twocents: worth.

I always use my fingers like another guy was saying. The thing I may do different is I pour my lead first. That way you have a hook and lure body (I'm talking about spinnerbaits and buzzbaits) to hold on to so the wire doesn't twist as you tweak it with your fingers. I rarely have to tune a spinnerbait to run straight after this, although I am a little bit OCD when it comes to the wire being straight. Just the way I do it.

Dan

I buy the wire from janns or stamina in the loops, so I know what you are talking about. This may sound a little primative but I staighten it by hand. never had a problem. I have been making my own spinnerbaits for about 15yrs and i have always straightend mine by hand . Ledhed has a good idea with the wire from mcmaster carr, I'm sure it is the wire the welders use for filler.