Fulldraw84

Practice glider

Alright guys, I did a quick search so don't yell at me.

I have a cedar glider that I used the solo cups sealer on, Then glued on some foil.Next put one coat of devcon on.Wet sanded,painted,Put in the oven to warm it up. Then applied enviro-tex lite on it. Now as it is spinning to cure it looks like there are spots were the E.T.L. has smooth craters in it like a bubble has popped. but I see no bubbles.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Joe

Joe,

I wouldn't put the lure in the oven to dry it. The oven heat seems to reactivate oils and resins in the wood, as well as vaporizing any trapped moisture, and breaks down the bond of the sealer and primer to the wood.

Use a hair dryer to heat seal the water based paint. That's all you need. The oven is overkill, and makes more problems than it solves.

I just coated three jointed lures last night, and I got what I call fish eyes on one section of one lure. Sometimes I get it in a few spots, sometimes not. I think I must have gotten some finger print oil on the lures at those points, or some other contaminant, so the epoxy didn't bond. I usually just recoat the bad spots and go from there. It seems to bond the second time. Try wiping the bad spots down with alcohol before you recoat.

Just a couple of tips which you might try and which worked for me.

I do use the oven when I want to dry the wooden bodies of the crankbaits more than I can do on a heater, before sealing them.

But for any other drying of the crankbaits, I use the heater of one room (it's a central heating system). I leave the lures to dry overnight, or even several days. I dry the wood stripes from which I cut out the lures the same way. Also, if you want to speed up the curing process of the epoxy, you can use the heater which you have in a room (after about 3 - 4 hours from applying epoxy, and provided you have such a heating system in your house, during winter).

In summer, I put the lures in the sun for several hours. If you want a bigger temperature for your lures to dry, you can place the lures in the sun on a dark painted piece of metal, or metal sheet.

To avoid any oil transfer from my fingers to the lures, I wash my hands with soap before handling lures.