BizFromQC

Wire Forming tool/tips/suggestions for Through Wire

Good afternoon everyone, a new guy here on the keyboard. I've started to make my own crankbaits out of balsa and having a lot of fun in the process. Even built my own drying wheel using a microwave motor (about 6 rpm, I'll try to post some pics of it a bit later).

This website/forum is just oozing with information and I want to thank everyone for the wealth of tips and tutorials on how to do pretty much everything related to making your own hard baits.

My biggest "challenge" is in "forming" my 20 gauge SS wire for the "through wire construction". I looked at a tutorial here titled "Micro Through Wire Construction" but somehow I can't see the pics and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to best shape the SS wire for through wire. I twist everything by hand it is quite a PITA and the results are so so.

I'd really like to improve that part of the process, any info, tips, suggestions are appreciated.

Oh, another question... Has anyone tried any of the "Wire Forming Tools" out there, they seem to be targetted more towards spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, etc... Could I use one similar to this for shaping my through wires?

Hand Held Wire Forming Tool

Thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to read this thread :)

BizFromQC

I use Hagens tools exclusively for all my wireforming. I am sure there are many others out there but these are just outstanding. Look in there online cataloge or have them send you one. There is a link to the form on this site I believe. Best tools out there in my opinion. Check this out!! Heres a link to Hagens. Watch the Arrows for a few seconds------------------------------------------------------>>>>

I use round nosed pliers along with needle nose and regular vice grips for everything that I do. I don't do any wire forming, I have been doing a number of baits drilled straight through, then forming loops that drop off the main tunnel.

Here are a few links that may help...

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/member-submitted-tutorials/11960-bending-loops-0-062-wire.html

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hard-baits/12440-new-twist-lead-lock-thru-wire-technique.html

My latest spin on above thru technique is to form bend the back loop around and epoxy into the back end which does not require the break in the middle with the lead holding together.

Just a few things that I have been doing. There are many other great techniques that I am sure will be shared.

I use wire bending pliers too. They have round noses so you can form wire loops with various diameters. I ordered mine from stamina or netcraft but have seen them in craft stores too. I lay the wire on the lure to eyeball the bends and do it on the fly. The pliers are fairly quick and work well but I can see where a more powerful stationary tool might be better if you're bending hard stainless wire larger than .050" dia.

Hi

I have just started through wiring and also bend by hand using round nose pliers. I dont think it is possible to hit perfection by hand and the best way will always be a wire forming tool. If the loops are strong, hold hooks and more important hold fish then what more could you want ?? I dont suppose the fish examine the quality of the loops or paint job before hammering a lure ;).

Phil,

There was once a time when I would have agreed with you. Perfection could not be achieved without wire forming tools. But after seeing the baits made on this site and finding out most are evidently being bent by hand. I am soooooooooo wrong. They dont get much better than the examples here. Unfortunately due to severe arthritis in my hands and wrists I cant keep up without my wireformers. And once you can part with that initial expense they are so wonderful to work with and so fast. I can bend up enough wire in an hour to keep me busy for a month and not be sore at all which is a major acomplishment for myself.

Shane

Thanks everyone for the tips, I really like the idea of creating templates with nails (create a couple for different size baits). I'll give it a shot.

If I were to go the "wire forming tool" way, which tool specifically have you used or would you recommend to create the through wire ?

Here's how I bend it by hand. One of the biggest problem I have is that when forming the wire, since it's just a 20 gauge, it tends to bend a lot and having it "stay flat" for easy mounting between my two balsa pieces is again another PITA. :mad:

Here's my pathetic drawing done in Windows Paint. :huh:

through602.jpg

Thanks again,

BizFromQC