T-Bone

Fir

The first punker type gliders I made were from Douglas Fir, because I had a bunch of kd fir left over from a job.

The good news is it's strong, works well, and needs less weight for balast.

The bad news is it's heavy enough that I couldn't make a taller profile bait with it rolling, unless I put so much weight in the belly that it almost sank.

I would say try it, and see if you lure design works with it. If it does, great. It works great for big striper pencil poppers and low profile surface gliders.

I've had no problems with the lures I made from fir so far.

I did seal them first with polyacrylic, before I painted them, and then top coated them with Etex, so they're pretty protected from the water.

And they are punker type one piece lures, floaters, not jointed lures.

I used the fir because it was a strong, relatively easy wood to work with that I had a lot of, and it was kiln dried, so I knew there would be no residual moisture problems.

I've since moved on to first pine, and now poplar.

I will stick to those two woods in the future, because they are both lighter and easier to work than fir, and yet they're strong enough to hold hinges and hardware.