MuskyGary

Screw eyes

I've never had a screw eye pull out of one of my lures, but I did have a twist wire hinge come out. It was a single attachment hinge in the rear section, and the action of the tail "unscrewed" it. I had used old 5 minute epoxy on that lure, and that one didn't hold. I threw all the old stuff out the next day. And I put double attachment in all my joints now. Live and learn.

IUe had one pull out in the past. It was really my fault it wasnt one of my plugs but I cracked the clear around the tail hook and didnt repair it. I fished with it for a long time I mean two years,it was my favorite bait,and hooked one day lure came back with no tale hook

I've never had a problem, but then again, I fish mainly for bass. Can't say that I'm not paranoid about it though. I find comfort in the fact that Heddon and many other companies used and still use screw eyes in a lot if not all of their lures. 1/4" in some. I use 1" to 1 1/2" in mine, it makes me feel better anyway. I've never used epoxy on them, but like I said, I fish for bass....lol.

Jay

If possible , due to construction of lure , I don't set in the front and rear screw eyes in alignement of the center axis of lurebody , but under an angle as high as possible . A fighting fish would most likely pull straight down , so the angled positions of the eyelet shanks provide extra strength;) .

I also enlarge the entry of the pilot holes a bit , as I twist in the screweyes with Two-Component-Glue , a sort of "glue-plug" around the eyelet's "root" and its shank adds another extra strenght .

Good Luck , diemai

I have not had any eye screws fail that i have not epoxy'd in. But i have had them turn. And have landed many mid 40's (muskies) on my lures. But i also do epoxy them in too, depends on the lure. I also think that placing the eye screws through the grain of the wood, not with the grain. Also helps hold them in place better. Just my opinion to try to help you out. Hope it helps

Musky Machine