Bay Port Bob

Paint Removal Question

9 posts in this topic

BobP    832

On floating baits, I just sand the existing finish with 400 grit sandpaper to remove any oxidation or loose paint and give it some "tooth". If I need to remove ALL the finish (suspending bait or badly chipped/scratched), I use 220 grit paper and/or peel (not scrape) the old finish off with a very sharp Swiss Army knife, then sand with 400 grit as before. I've never had any luck with solvents; it usually ends up a big gooey mess.

CRANKNTN    10

While browsing through one of the paint supply websites, I ran across a small sandblaster made by Paasche. It looks like an airbrush. Does anyone have one or know how well it works on lures?

rlcam    11

I've had real good luck sanding with 220 and applying white krylon fusion.

On some I take all the paint and on some I just sand.The fusion bonds to

the plastic or sanded paint very well....Robert

BobP    832

Tim Hughes, noted crankbait artist, posted that they use a blast booth and it has the advantage of removing finish without erasing detail like hand sanding does. A booth would be the deal if you did as many repaints as Hughes Custom Baits, or if you had one sitting in the garage for other tasks.

While browsing through one of the paint supply websites, I ran across a small sandblaster made by Paasche. It looks like an airbrush. Does anyone have one or know how well it works on lures?

Whats the link for that site?