benton B

SS wire suggestions

The bigger question is what size wire to use??? I think that normal bass tackle would require about .031 inches. I used safety wire on billions of dollars Air Force aircraft for years... The only way I'd feel comfortable using safety wire is if it is twisted 10 to 12 twists per inch - thats what gives its strength. In the very act of twisting with a safety-wire pliers adds a little heat to the wire and when finished, it is fairly rigid. JMHO

I use the soft temper stainless (aka safety wire?) from McMaster-Carr for thru-wire harnesses and on most baits for the line ties. It's similar but a tad stiffer than soft brass wire which is very popular for bass cranks. I'd recommend the .040" diameter (untwisted). I've used the .032" successfully but figure, what the heck, .040" still looks good and is 33% stronger. In addition to making it MUCH easier to form the wire frame, it also makes the bait easy to tune without cracking the finish around the nose. I haven't had it break or even deform perceptably on bass up to 6 lbs. It seems like cooked spagetti compared to hard stainless but when bent into a small diameter circle and anchored in epoxy, it's quite strong.

Bruce, .031 is what I use on very small lures, like inch and a half size, and I go to tempered wire when i go that small, and use a haywire twist...my normal everyday wire for my thru-wire harnesses is 19 gauge untempered stainless from Ace Hardware which I barrel wrap, although I've been considering the equivilant McMaster-Carr soft-temper stainless to save a little money.

Bob, I know you know how to cure that finish cracking thing around the nose when you have to, or want to tune!

Dean

I use the same wire. I did a pull test, just for my own peace of mind. I fixed a plain loop (no twists) in a 3/32" dia hole, 3/4" deep, with polyester resin, in a body of resin/spheres. I hung a bucket of water off it (27lbs) and left it hanging for 24hrs (the maid wanted the bucket back). The result was positive, no deformations etc, even the loop eye retained its shape. This is way beyond the load the wire should receive in normal practice.