oscarsteel

Home Depot Epoxy Super Glaze

I went to home depot hoping maybe they sold etex. I found a product thats called Parks super glaze. Its a two part epoxy that smells just like etex. I paid $20.00 for 32 oz. of this stuff. I was wondering if anyone has used this before. The hardener is not as clear as etex but it says it drys clear. :huh:

I'll try it on some baits and post the result if anyone is interested.

How is it to work with compared to Etex? How long to set, how long to handle, how much working time?

How hard does it wind up being?

Give it up! :o)

1. Never used etex, so I can't answer. From ecerthing i've heard of etex it is similiar, but seems to be more forgiving of a "bad mix" as I have never had a problem.

2. Depends on temp and IF you thin it. I thin it w/ denatured alcohol to extend the pot life. I also dip and hang as opposed to paint and spin. So knowing that it sets to the touch in 24 hours give or take. SInce I cut it w/alcohol it takes a few days to completely cure. I'd guess unthinned the usuable pot life is anywhere from 15-30 minutes.

3. Hardness is comparable to etex.

They way I use it, is quite fast and easy. I cut the epoxy 25% by volume w/alcohol. I then pour the epoxy from one cup into another fully coating my plug. I let it drip a few seconds, then hang it to finnish dripping. When I am done w/a batch i bring them from my garage into my basement to cure over a space heater. Sunday I coated 3 dozen saltwater plugs in less than an hour using 2 batches of epoxy. 1 batch is 1 condiment cup resin, 1 hardner and 1/2 c cup alcohol. You can re-dip in 24 hours for a thicker coat. Durability is comparable to etex. A little more forgiving than devcon 2T.

Joe

The majority of the alcohol has flashed off before they even see the heater. Plus it's not an open flame or anything, just keeps the lures between 70-80 degrees. It's necessaru since I work in an unheated basement.

These are SW plugs, big 3/0, 4/0 VMC's. Hook rash is gonna happen. Where I fish, I'm banging rocks EVERY cast. Hook rash is the least of my concerns.

Someone here suggested T'ing your trebles (sorry, I don't remember his name, or I'd give him full credit for a great idea), bending the two hooks that normally rub the lure out until they sit opposite each other, so they don't rub the lure's finish.

I do it by holding each of the hooks with a pair of needle nose pliars and bending them at the same time, which is quick, and kind of makes it easier to get them even, since I'm applying the same pressure to both at the same time. You can also put the middle hook in a vise, and bend the other two down until they're flat across.

I believe the guy who originally posted the idea said he did it to his trolling lures to keep them from tearing up the finish, and so the hooks didn't stick and mess up the action. He was right.

I don't get hook rash any more, and the hooks don't stick in the side of the lures as much on the cast.

I finally got to use this stuff on some baits. I like the look it has but I think the etex is better. I had some lumps that I never get with etex and it took 16 hours to dry tack free. It seems softer than etex also. I think for myself I will stay with the etex. I thought you guys might like to know the results of my comparison of the two..........Oscar:teef:

I finally got to fish the baits I did with this epoxy. I'm not at all happy with the result.:boo: If it hit anything it chipped off. Rocks totally removed it. I think hitting the water alone chipped it. Maybe I had the mix uneven I don't think I will use it again. Etex or D2T are a far better product in my opinion..........Oscar

Oscar,

You saved me a potentially time-consuming and expensive learning experience.

Thanks.

I'm so hard on lures that I beat up the Etex pretty good, but it holds up well unless I make an "unscheduled introduction" to an unforgiving rock.

I actually "introduced" on of my 8" jointed swimbaits to the rocks on two occasions yesterday, after it had caught a nice fish for me. Talk about ungrateful!

I had one coat of Etex on it, and the rock cut through it, and chipped it the first time, and the second time, more of the same and the cotter pin hinges actually bent a little, so the lure segments didn't line up any more.

I had done an on the water fix the first time, sealing the open wood with super glue, but, after the second episode, I took pity on the lure and let it rest for the day.

If the Home Depot epoxy doesn't measure up to Etex, I'd be afraid to use it, even if it's cheaper.

Mark, Thats why made another post on this stuff. Maybe I could save someone the trouble I had. I thought it might be as good as etex and for me easier to get. But it just don't hold up. When you spend the time to make the perfect lure and then it gets destroyed in one day of fishing it makes me a little unhappy:mad:............Oscar

I finally got to fish the baits I did with this epoxy. I'm not at all happy with the result.:boo: If it hit anything it chipped off. Rocks totally removed it. I think hitting the water alone chipped it. Maybe I had the mix uneven I don't think I will use it again. Etex or D2T are a far better product in my opinion..........Oscar

Interesting... I don't see much of a difference, But I fish much different conditions. NOTHING holds up to rock pounding in the surf...

I used Devcon for the first time last week. I was very impressed at the clarity and hardness. I tested out the residue on the mixing pallet. It was very brittle and snapped when I tested it. I have used many different epoxies and there IS a difference between brands.

You cannot satisfy every requirement. Devcon will be good for clarity and tooth resistance, but rocks and probably hook rash would be a problem. A softer finish would fix this, but the teeth and the finish would be a problem. Just an opinion.

Also, I was amazed or more accurately, horrified at the effect on the action of a coat of Devcon had. I had to re-tune the whole lure to get most of the action back.

Vman,

I found out the hard way that two coats of epoxy adds almost 6 grams to the weight of my 8" lures (6 1/2" wood bodies, 1 1/2" plastic tail).

I top coat with Etex, and it isn't immune to either hook rash or rock rash.

I cured the hook rash problem by T'ing my trebles, so the two hooks that normally rub the belly of the lure are bent out into a flat T top, parallel to the bottom face/plane of the lure.

The rock rash I have to cure by casting better.

The Etex isn't brittle, like you said D2T is, but it doesn't like to be between a sharp rock, and a 3oz wood swimbait. On the plus side, I can repair it with brush on crazy glue on the water once it's dry, and D2T back in the Garage when I get home.

I like the D2T for repairs because it's not as thin, and doesn't run like the Etex.

For those that want to know about the super glaze from Home depot, I use it all the time... I pour it over puzzles that I have glued to luan...It looks like glass when it dries...about 24 hours ...make sure what ever you pour it on is level and make sure something is under it before you pour to catch the drain off..I use an old piece of plyboard ...I also make plats of the grand kids too sometimes I put old coins on them and this stuff is so thick when it dries you can barely feel the coins... Great stuff.....

I use them both. I have had a couple stickey cures with etec and none with parks. I have gone to calibrated 1 oz cups and clear squeeze bottles for the two parts so I no longer have proportion problems. Parks intended use was for bar tops and wooden counter tops. So far it is holding up well, I have had no complaints.

The price is better, but time will tell.

Good Luck

For what it's worth, if you troll big baits at 4 to 7 mph as alot of us musky fisherman do, you will get hook rash and it doesn't matter what kind of finish you use....that is a fact....we "T" all our hooks to lessen the effect and for better hook sets, but hook rash still happens, just the nature of the beast.

Rod