• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Vodkaman

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,107 posts
Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:26 AM

I used Devcon for the first time last week. I was very impressed at the clarity and hardness. I tested out the residue on the mixing pallet. It was very brittle and snapped when I tested it. I have used many different epoxies and there IS a difference between brands.

You cannot satisfy every requirement. Devcon will be good for clarity and tooth resistance, but rocks and probably hook rash would be a problem. A softer finish would fix this, but the teeth and the finish would be a problem. Just an opinion.

Also, I was amazed or more accurately, horrified at the effect on the action of a coat of Devcon had. I had to re-tune the whole lure to get most of the action back.

#22 mark poulson

mark poulson

Advanced Member

• TU Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,779 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:44 PM

I found out the hard way that two coats of epoxy adds almost 6 grams to the weight of my 8" lures (6 1/2" wood bodies, 1 1/2" plastic tail).
I top coat with Etex, and it isn't immune to either hook rash or rock rash.
I cured the hook rash problem by T'ing my trebles, so the two hooks that normally rub the belly of the lure are bent out into a flat T top, parallel to the bottom face/plane of the lure.
The rock rash I have to cure by casting better.
The Etex isn't brittle, like you said D2T is, but it doesn't like to be between a sharp rock, and a 3oz wood swimbait. On the plus side, I can repair it with brush on crazy glue on the water once it's dry, and D2T back in the Garage when I get home.
I like the D2T for repairs because it's not as thin, and doesn't run like the Etex.

#23 chewink

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:12 PM

For those that want to know about the super glaze from Home depot, I use it all the time... I pour it over puzzles that I have glued to luan...It looks like glass when it dries...about 24 hours ...make sure what ever you pour it on is level and make sure something is under it before you pour to catch the drain off..I use an old piece of plyboard ...I also make plats of the grand kids too sometimes I put old coins on them and this stuff is so thick when it dries you can barely feel the coins... Great stuff.....

#24 Manuel

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:18 PM

I use them both. I have had a couple stickey cures with etec and none with parks. I have gone to calibrated 1 oz cups and clear squeeze bottles for the two parts so I no longer have proportion problems. Parks intended use was for bar tops and wooden counter tops. So far it is holding up well, I have had no complaints.
The price is better, but time will tell.
Good Luck

#25 rjbass

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:04 AM

For what it's worth, if you troll big baits at 4 to 7 mph as alot of us musky fisherman do, you will get hook rash and it doesn't matter what kind of finish you use....that is a fact....we "T" all our hooks to lessen the effect and for better hook sets, but hook rash still happens, just the nature of the beast.