DickMac2000

Work in progress: 'Twisterjerks'

Herwin,

we talked about this allready some time ago and it's true that I was inspired by you're small TJ some 2 1/2 years ago. I just wanted to show some of the jerks I had been making.... Maybe I should have mentioned yours, I don't know.... I didn't tell people, they were completely my own invention/design either. These are my jerks and yours are yours.

About the name... they are jerks with a twister indeed and the post is 1 1/2 years old. We talked about it on the roofvisforum later and I stopped naming them Twisterjerks allready. Mine are called DickTails now. ;)

Nice jerks Herwin.... I wish you much success selling them!!!

Best regards,

Dick

Edited by DickMac2000

I must admit that I have been inspired by the work of these incredible master baiters and decided to make one that is similar to both of the designs. I have decided to call them Twisted Dick Jerkers. No photos available at this time and they are not for sale.

:D:D:DNow this is classic! You have just made my whole day with this one.

I must admit that I have been inspired by the work of these incredible master baiters and decided to make one that is similar to both of the designs. I have decided to call them Twisted Dick Jerkers. No photos available at this time and they are not for sale.

I just laughed so hard I almost pooped my pants!! :lol::lol::lol:

Palmetto, your killing me here. I just laughed so hard I think I might have torn something. The Rookie has got me laughing pretty good before, but that was just classic. Man I'm way to immature for this post.

Dickmack2000 & Herwin, both of your baits look really nice. Keep up the good work.

Tim

DickMac and Herwin, I like your baits also.

Palmetto Balsa, that was too funny.

DickMac and Herwin, I have an old friend here in Tennessee who has been making hand made Balsa baits for many years. He told me that almost all baits are a a likeness of someone elses with your own suttle variations or what you might think are improvements. I guess the exception to this would be you guys that do the fancy carving of the facial and body details. I wish I was good at that. Looking at all the hard baits on this sites gallery, I think he is right there are just a few basic shapes that most baits are made to resemble. You guys that come up with something very different from this that works are admirable and very creative. I would consider it an honor if I made one that someone wanted to imitate if they gave due credit for their inspiration. Best of luck to both of you. My 2

I don't know who made them, but I know where I could use them. As for the rest , sometimes I know how you feel. Ned Kelly said 'Such is life' just before they dropped him from the gallows, (he did not make lures). Come up with another one, and don't tell any bastard!!!pete

I just read through this post and it brough out different emotions. Reading the "It's my design and he copied it from me" reminded me of a little kid wanting attention. And the misleading impression of the "look what I have been making" reminded me of some snake taking credit for someone else's idea. Either way, whatever!!

If you have some prized invention or creation, patent it! If you want to keep it a secret don't sell it!! If you are going to copy it give the due credit!!!

Community boards like this are geared towards the copy cat, for the most part. Yes, I know there are plenty of "Original" ideas here but are they truly original??? Most likely not with the excpetion of an extremely rare few.

In the bass fishing world there have only been 2 or 3 significant Originals that have changed the market place. The senko is one and the snap back titanium wire on Terminator Spinner Bait would be another. But Is the Terminator Spinnerbait an original design? NO! It is merely an improvement on an existing product. Is the Senko and original design? Nope!! Another improvement on a previous design, remember the french fry???

So the likelihood that someone building baits out of their garage or basement will become the next Strike King Lure Co. is extremely slim. And if by the grace of god someone does invent and patent the lastest and greatest fish catching lure and gets a million dollar contract to sell at Wal-Mart (i.e. Rad Lures), they will order so many pieces that you can not fulfill your contract and then BAM they own your patent. Should you avoid the breach of contract, guess what? It only takes a 10% change in the lure design to avoid patent infringment. A 10% Change!! That can be a hook hanger change, a minut change in body length/thickness, a carve or just about anything. And while you are buying 10's of thousands of dollars of equipment or out sourcing your prices go up and the next guy is making your lure (with the 10% change) and selling it at half the price.

So in short... Keep it a secret or get a patent. Give credit where credit is due if (or shoudl I say when) you copy. And get over it!!

We are all here for the same basic reason. To make our own baits and take pride in making them. We are here to share ideas and ask questions. We are here to help our comminuty members with problems they are having. We are not here to cry to mommy that our little brother is copying off of us. For a true example of community sharing check out the willingness of the soft plastic guys sharing color recipes. That is what sites like this are all about. People willing to share their ideas and let other benefit from it. If you are not willing to share or have some useful input then lock yourself in your work shop and stay off the boards. And the same goes for those taking credit for someone else's work. Fess up to it, say I got this idea from so and so but I have done this to suit my taste.

G:censored::censored::censored::censored:er!! I could go on and on but I will stop now. Sorry to have offended anyone. Just my 10cents...

@ PAVABill

I 100% agree to your statements !

It seems to me , as soon as money gets involved into the passion of luremaking , such attitudes like the one above are often put on display :?:huh:.

In Germany we almost don't have a market for custom made lures , native builders just do it for fun , to minor their expenses on tackle and/or to improve their fishing and catch rate .

Didn't ever come across such discussions on German luremaking sites:nuhuh: !

And why putting it out to the public , anyway:huh: ???????

Some years ago I wrote some pictured luremaking essays for a German angling magazine and one day I have received a request from someone , saying , that he wanted to buy some of a certain type of lure , a rather simple one made of metal tubing , that I have described in such a "How-To" essay .

That lure is supposed to skim along the surface at a fast pace to attract an European predatory fish named asp , but can also be used as a substitute for bottom jigging . It is quite hot for surface skimming targeting that particular fish .

It's head is cut at a certain angle and the line tie swivel is attached at the chin , at the shorter part of that angle .

Anyway , it went , that I sent some of these out to that person , got payed and forgot about it .

The next year , all the current tackle manufacturer's new catalogs just came out , I've found that very lure in one of these , so I guess , that this had to do with that lure request , since a similar lure never was to be found in any catalog before:nuhuh: !

But they haven't done a good job , since the angle and line tie at the head portion of the lure were positioned totally wrong , so that this lure could never work in it's supposed way !

Though I am not entirely sure about it , I still suspect , that these events are somehow connected , but I don't have any evidence !

Too suspicious to me to be accidental :yes:!

Anyway , in a nutshell , there is nothing , that I can do about it , because I have put this design out to the public , not to show my work , but to enable other fellow tinkerers to make their own versions for more successful fishing , never meant to assist the tackle industry for free:nuhuh: .

But public is public , and I should(and would) not complain:nuhuh: .

Needless to say , that this technically wrong knock-off in that catalog caused some gloating on me:):lol: !

greetz :yay:, diemai

Edited by diemai

PAVABill,

That was classic, and perfect. :worship:

I think it should be a permanent thread at the top with the tutorials.

And I think we should created the "Twisted Dick Jerker" award for those who make truly significant contributions to the forum.

For his insightful analysis of the current brouhaha, I nominate PAVABill for the first award! :yay:

I just read through this post and it brough out different emotions. Reading the "It's my design and he copied it from me" reminded me of a little kid wanting attention. And the misleading impression of the "look what I have been making" reminded me of some snake taking credit for someone else's idea. Either way, whatever!!

If you have some prized invention or creation, patent it! If you want to keep it a secret don't sell it!! If you are going to copy it give the due credit!!!

Community boards like this are geared towards the copy cat, for the most part. Yes, I know there are plenty of "Original" ideas here but are they truly original??? Most likely not with the excpetion of an extremely rare few.

In the bass fishing world there have only been 2 or 3 significant Originals that have changed the market place. The senko is one and the snap back titanium wire on Terminator Spinner Bait would be another. But Is the Terminator Spinnerbait an original design? NO! It is merely an improvement on an existing product. Is the Senko and original design? Nope!! Another improvement on a previous design, remember the french fry???

So the likelihood that someone building baits out of their garage or basement will become the next Strike King Lure Co. is extremely slim. And if by the grace of god someone does invent and patent the lastest and greatest fish catching lure and gets a million dollar contract to sell at Wal-Mart (i.e. Rad Lures), they will order so many pieces that you can not fulfill your contract and then BAM they own your patent. Should you avoid the breach of contract, guess what? It only takes a 10% change in the lure design to avoid patent infringment. A 10% Change!! That can be a hook hanger change, a minut change in body length/thickness, a carve or just about anything. And while you are buying 10's of thousands of dollars of equipment or out sourcing your prices go up and the next guy is making your lure (with the 10% change) and selling it at half the price.

So in short... Keep it a secret or get a patent. Give credit where credit is due if (or shoudl I say when) you copy. And get over it!!

We are all here for the same basic reason. To make our own baits and take pride in making them. We are here to share ideas and ask questions. We are here to help our comminuty members with problems they are having. We are not here to cry to mommy that our little brother is copying off of us. For a true example of community sharing check out the willingness of the soft plastic guys sharing color recipes. That is what sites like this are all about. People willing to share their ideas and let other benefit from it. If you are not willing to share or have some useful input then lock yourself in your work shop and stay off the boards. And the same goes for those taking credit for someone else's work. Fess up to it, say I got this idea from so and so but I have done this to suit my taste.

G:censored::censored::censored::censored:er!! I could go on and on but I will stop now. Sorry to have offended anyone. Just my 10cents...

I think it has to do with the fact that you can relate any bait to another within a 10% range...all of those baits look like squirrely phantoms which look like muskietreats, which look like...and this roundabout continues. How about the WTD topwaters?? Just a way of life when you're all trying to mimic the prey of a fish with the same materials.

PAVABill,

That was classic, and perfect. :worship:

I think it should be a permanent thread at the top with the tutorials.

And I think we should created the "Twisted Dick Jerker" award for those who make truly significant contributions to the forum.

For his insightful analysis of the current brouhaha, I nominate PAVABill for the first award! :yay:

@PAVABill

Well said. I appreciate you taking the time to put everyone's focus back where it should be- helping our fellow lure builders to build better lures and catch more fish!:yay:

@Mr. Poulson

I second your nomination.:)

jeremy