Bman

Epoxy removal

There is a product called Attack Epoxy Remover Solvent that they claim removes cured epoxy. Now for a dumb question, aren't graphite rod blank held together with some form of epoxy resins?

I fear that in fixing one problem and removing the epoxy, that Attack wouldn't stop with just the problem area, it would just keep trying to remove all the epoxy in it's path. A razor blade or sand paper aren't the answer because cuts or scratches will weaken the graphite surface.

If it's low enough on the blank, you might be able to salvage it as an ice fishing or child's rod is the best I can think of. Maybe we get thedude or Mattlures to drop by with a good fix.

The reason I'm asking is: On another forum I also belong to, some guys are discussing taking older rods and altering the grip into split-grips. After removing the cork on the handles, they're sanding the epoxy off. I thought there has to be a better way. Thanks for your help!

I just made a split grip and after I cut the cork down I took a heat gun to it and scraped it with an exacto knife. I was able to get it all the way down the graphite. Took the paint and epoxy off. I did so by scrapping with the knife perpendicular to the grain of the graphite. The blank came out completely flat with no bumps. Just thought I would pass it along.

Bman,

Thanks for making the inquiry here.

thedude,

How are you heating up the epoxy? This seems the safest way so is it with a blow dryer? Also, once heated, do you then use denatured alcohol to remove the softened epoxy? Sorry for the questions, but I have got to get to the bottom of removing the epoxy. Thanks!