.dsaavedra.

applying epoxy

Yes,just buy some cheap art brushes and throw away after you are done.I have cleaned one before and used it again.The only thing is I got some fibers from the brush on my plug.You can however take pliers and crimp the end a bit more to help that...Robert

I think you are going to get a lot of different opinions on this one. I use the same brushes that I use for applying rod finish. They are expensive and get cleaned every time. Im going to say thats the best way to go. I have also seen pictures in the gallery of what I would call flawless finishes done with throwaway brushes. So I am also not about to try and argue the point with anyone.:lol: Good luck.

I use a flat square tip artist blending brush, $6-7 for a set of 4-5 various sizes. I clean them with acetone or denatured alcohol after use. A couple of years and about 200 crankbaits later, I'm still using the same cheapo brushes. Wipe excess epoxy off the brush on a paper towel. Agitate the brush in solvent and bend the bristles against the bottom of the jar, fanning them out. Dry the brush on a clean lint free piece of cloth. Check to see if the bristles are separate. If not, repeat in the solvent. Cleaning takes about 1 minute.

I keep a look out for cheap hobby brushes. Usually find 12 to 24 per pack for a buck. Found containers of 144 at Tractor Supply last year for $3.00 each. Bought all they had. Crimp the collar holding the bristles with pliers. Use em once and throw em away. Before discarding cut off the other end to use as a stir stick for mixing next batch of epoxy.

I use plumbers flux brushs. They have bristles like a paint brush but are very inexpensive about 30 cents each. You can clean them if you want to or throw them away each time. Look for them in the plumbing section of lowes or home depot...............Oscar:wink:

thanks that exactly what i wanted to hear! i'll have to look for these next time im out!:yeah:

This is where I get mine.......squeeze the collar down then run your fingers through the bristles 20 times to get any loose hairs out then go ahead and apply the epoxy. One use, throw em out.

5/8" Acid Brush - Acid - R. S. Quality Products, Inc.

I have bought expensive fine haired brushes and they do a better job of applying the epoxy but after I used them for a long time I started having trouble with the paint thinner removing the glue that held the bristles in place! And unless you change the thinner all the time you get tiny pieces of epoxy in the next batch of epoxy.

RM

I bought some cheap artist's brushes with yellow plastic handles, and they work great. I only use denatured alcohol to clean them, so they don't come apart, and they really do a good job spreading epoxy without losing bristles. I tried to clean one with acetone, and it melted the plastic handle and ruined the brush, so I stick to alcohol. For brush cleaning, of course.

I use one for my air brush cleaning. I leave it in the 1 qt. tub of water I have next to where I paint, and use it for cleaning the tip and deep in the cup. Works great.

I was worried because I didn't remember where I bought them, but the two I'm using now have lasted three months with no signs of wearing out.

Then again, I'm a cheapskate.