rlcam

Devcon bubbles?

Tried the devcon for a top coat for the first time a few days ago.Well, the first batch was unbelievable,no bubbles,clean slick hard finish.Tried a few more the next day and had small air bubbles on two of them.I mixed it the same way and put it on with the same type brush.They still look great,you have to hold it under a light to see them(as my wife would say...there goes your OCD kickin in).Also,I used cheap art brushes like some have recommended and had trouble several times with hair fibers coming off and into finish.Seen them all but one in time to get them out.Are the flux brushes or other type brushes any better?I also fanned the brush real good before I started....Robert

P.S.I just about lost it :eek: while this site was down.Couldn't find another "fix" as good as TU.

yes breath on it with a deep hot breath and it will pop the bubbles.

as far as the brush goes you need to fand it to get the loose ons out than i take a pair of plyers and crimp the brush even more than the way it comes and that will hold the rest of the hairs in the brush.

good luck and lets see them plugs...:teef:

Rlcam, various things cause bubbles, from bubbles mixed into the epoxy, bubbles caused by the way you brush it on, to bubbles coming out of the lure if it is heated before the epoxy is hard. A FEW drops of denatured alcohol mixed in the epoxy can thin it slightly and help it to expel bubbles. How you brush the epoxy and what brush you use also have a big effect. I have the best luck using a 1/4" wide flat artist's brush (called a blending brush). I brush over the epoxy quickly several times to remove any bubbles and I'm "laying it on" fairly thick and then brushing the excess down the lure, always keeping the brush wet with epoxy. You don't want the brush dragging dry over uncoated areas - it causes bubbles. When it's finished, I breathe on any bubbles, then spin it. I don't heat mine with a heat gun or torch but some guys do.